2.5 months, anything new?

If 10000 people buy the “VCV Rack for DAWs” license for 100 dollars each, that would be a million dollars. Not impossible if the release actually happens at some point.

But, if I am brutally honest based on my experiences : that is not going to happen. There will be a lot less paying customers.

I don’t think there are 10 000 paid for plugins in the world lol.

1 Like

To you mean paid VCV plugins, or just any paid plug-in? If the latter, I bet you are wrong?

I am pretty sure there have been some plugins that have sold 10000 licenses or more. Not very many, but some. If you are really good at marketing and the plugin also actually more or less does what your marketing says it does, it doesn’t seem at all impossible to achieve.

Tons if you count ones bundled with paid daws. Probably just some, as you say, if not.

I don’t even mean plugins bundled with DAWs, but actual plugins sold independent of DAWs. 10000 sold licenses doesn’t seem completely implausible for some of the bigger plugin companies around.

Serum and Omnisphere?

I was only kidding

1 Like

I’d be interested in doing some commercial plugins with better gfx and more control options. My free plugins could be “better” in such regard, but some of them are quite nice as they are.

Is there any plans for “commission” graphics such as better knobs and displays?

1 Like

Sometimes people who are strong in programming and/or dsp team up with people who are good designers. And this message is off topic.

1 Like

There is probably a lot of potential future income, and Andrew deserves adequate compensation for his masterpiece.

But it seems to me that this might not be good for Rack, the community and possibly Andrews health, and I wish VCV would have stayed with the original business model and make the money from modules instead. We would probably have an excellent VST by now and maybe a happy and healthy chief developer.

I would pay the 100$, but I also paid roundabout that amount for VCV modules and would probably buy more of them. Also module development seems to be a lot less effort, especially when you consider that with the release of a VST there will probably be an extended period of bugfixing for all kinds of hosts, adding even more pressure.

Maybe it’s better to let go of the gold when you’re drowning, and maybe you could even retrieve it later with a lot less effort.

But maybe I’m just talking bullshit and it is all not how it seems to me and I’m making a fool of myself posting this… I don’t know, but I do want Rack to reach it’s full potential and it seems it’s not reaching it because of human problems. I’m a human myself now, so I’m not judging :smiley:

4 Likes

I started a new topic.

But I’ve developed code before and some refactors can take a while and nothing appears to have been done for the people who only run the latest running build.

Then the last line causes some amazement as though it itself was responsible for all the new features.

Am I way off? I thought there would be at least 30-50k worldwide just waiting to buy this on day one. No?

i love vcv but i doubt that many people are interested in buying it right away.

I think you may well be surprised then.

1 Like

It’s kinda hard to guess what the take up on the VST will be. Rack users are a relatively small community right now but we’re not just talking about current Rack users buying the VST - there are a LOT of DAW users out there who currently are not interested in something unless it integrates as a plugin in their DAW.

There are plenty of people who think Rack is better as a standalone virtual modular but currently use Voltage Modular simply because it is more convenient as a VST in their DAW.

1 Like

If the Rack VST launches with a bunch of tutorials, demo patches and maybe a bunch of prerolled effects patches it would help sell itself to reviewers who aren’t experienced with the standalone product. The Empress Zoia pedal sells for four or five times as much and that has fantastic word of mouth. Obviously Rack can do everything it can and an infinite amount of other stuff too, but if you let people consider the myriad possibilities of modular AND give them some great effects they can slip into audio productions right now you have a more saleable product.

It’s hard to know. I’ve been waiting somewhat patiently for the chance to pay for the vst for nearly 2 years now iirc. Or is it one. Find it hard to remember with everything that’s been happening.

But yeah, I think it will sell, but of course I am biased. It’s by far the best modular environment I’ve used, over Softube, Cherry Audio, Reaktor, etc. I think a key thing will be how it integrates with DAWs. Realistically, the possible market for a killer modular / sequencing plugin is potentially bigger than those who are looking to make all their music in rack - probably the biggest problem I have at the moment is the inability to sync reliably to a daw.

I use numerology at the moment which is great in its own way, but I feel like Rack potentially offers a hell of a lot more, primarily for sequencing in my use-case. I also bought an ES-9 and a basic modular rack in anticipation of running a hybrid setup.

So, if launch is fairly imminent that’s exciting as hell - even though obviously not taking the predictions here as gospel, though.

I’m right there with you with respect to Numerology which I mostly use as a plugin. I want to use Numerology and VCV both as plugins together in order to have the DAW handle the routing between them and have the convenience of saving everything about both and bouncing VCV’s output in the DAW. Soon, hopefully.

I remember u-he saying a few years ago that their plugins sold in the order of the “couple of thousands”. 30-50k sold licenses sounds way too much.