2.5 months, anything new?

Last update in the Dev Blog seem to be from June 15th, and afaik was more or less written because I had pointed out that the community, without seeing progress, was being left in a weird state where we didn’t know if we wanted to continue investing in the platform without knowing if VST support, better external clocking, etc. would every actually materialize. He had told me that he would try try to update the dev blog more and host periodic voice chats in the discord, neither of which I’ve seen come to fruition.

I have started making my own modules that I very much so want to sell, yet I’m uneasy about the future of the platform. The number of new, exciting modules has plateaued (at no fault of devs- largely I think most everything that can be done has been done) and I think without the push of the update this will continue to get worse. It’s not as though we’ve explored every sound, or that the old modules are suddenly bad, but I think a lot of peeople do get inpspired by trying something new. For me at least, some of my best patches happen when focusing on a new module or idea

100% this. A lot of the API refrence is like “here’s a function name, have fun!” and that leaves the place of needing to read GPL’d code as documentation, which if making a commercial module is very problematic. There’s also the sorta-problem of using NanoVG for rendering, for which there’s a VCV fork because the library is unmaintained. I know I’m having issues on Linux with framerate limiting (rack wants to render at like 3,000 FPS) that I imagine is partially casused by this, yet I don’t know how 2.0 could possibly use anything else without sacrificing compatibility.

Yes. That MIDI sync improvement might be good.

I’m mostly happy with Rack, but I think it would be nice if small improvements in places that matter like this one would be added to 1.x, especially if they are already achieved and are now needlessly waiting for a v2 release.

Better MIDI sync and maybe some small bugfixes and improvements and I can wait for v2 a few more years :slight_smile:

A VST would be mighty nice of course, but… well… I don’t know how to put this without seeming demanding or preaching new age gospel… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: , so let’s just hope everything turns out fine for VCV and Rack, preferably sooner than later.

Until then the standalone version is still one of the greatest pieces of music software to see the light of screen.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s really true. But I can’t prove that it’s not :wink:

3 Likes

Of the new modules - and this isn’t to say what I’m not listing is bad - The only ones that have really excited me or lead me to new sonic places are Chopping Kinky, Percall, Satanonaut, Oppressor, and ShapeMaster, and tbh I don’t think I got as much out of Shape master as some others did. Maybe that’s because I’m used to the more immediate inteface of the hardware Acid Rain Maestro, I’m not sure, but regardless, it’s been a hot minute since anything has made me think “Oh my god I need to try this RIGHT NOW”

you should use mine :wink:

1 Like

I can’t wait to do one for rack 2!

6 Likes

Oh hell yes :sunglasses: :metal: :yum:

4 Likes

The Winds of Winter

The Doors of Stone

Rack Version 2

I never expected to see a piece of sound software as cool and fun as Rack in the first place. If an even cooler and funner one shows up that’s a bonus, but I’m already having a pretty good time

4 Likes

Agree. I’ve spent so much money and time in the past on other musical “toys”; yet now find myself in Rack 90% of the time.

In my opinion Rack and Reaper are the two best pieces of musical software available today. And the two play so well together.

6 Likes

@djandino told me v2 should be released mid september. I trust him.

1 Like

Forgive my cynicism , but unless we hear it from vortico, I’m not holding my breath.

Still, I’ll happily part with my $10 if it happens

2 Likes

Half-Life 3

1 Like

I don’t know what’s up with you and Nazi references, but it’s the last warning

1 Like

What are you talking about? @djandino is an Argentinian with some German descent, he’s a good friend of my mine, I made a joke, is that against the rules?

That’s approximately the ETA I’ve heard as well, as I’ve said elsewhere previously. I know that’s what Andrew was shooting for as of the May update to the dev blog

@Olival_Clanaro yes i know @Recep_Tayyip_Erdogan, we are friends and he is always joking me with that shit. Allah is watching you Recep. Let’ leave this jokes in Wathsapp.

Well, like Eric I am of the mindset that if Vortico didn’t say it it’s wishful thinking. But a mid-September release would be a most welcome development.

I hope Vortico makes several million dollars and experiences big satisfaction when it’s done and out the door.

1 Like

Yes, he really deserves some good cash flow coming his way. I too hope it comes out soon.

2 Likes

Several million dollars? Are we talking Native Instruments?