2.5 months, anything new?

Yeah, I primarily want to use Rack to sequence other plugins and external gear - time will tell of course, but I am hoping that the rack plugin will effectively be the interface between my DAW and my modular - kinda hoping that it will be able to address my ES-9 directly from within the rack plugin to keep things neat - i.e. without having to set up Ableton channels to send gate/cv - no idea if that’s planned or even feasible, probably not a huge deal either way.

I like to set up a bunch of randomness in Numerology and render the “performance” to midi so I can pick out bits that work well and edit them together or use them as a basis to be messed up further, also hoping this will be possible with rack. It kinda works at the moment a bit, but the timing just isn’t good enough, hopefully running in a plugin will solve that.

I assume that when you run VCV as a plugin, you will depend on how the host deals with physical I/O, as opposed to being able to route directly to the ES-9 from within the plugin. You might actually be better off staying in standalone if your main workflow involves VCV cv control of modular gear. I could imagine that being kind of a pain to route all that cv through ableton. In fact I don’t have to imagine. I did that with my ES-3s that I had connected to my MOTU 16A. It worked, and Ableton CV tools have some nice features for calibration/tuning and stuff. But it multiplies your opportunities to mis-route something, as well as the number of places you have to check when something is wrong. I found it to be a flow-killer, personally.

1 Like

From what I’ve gleaned about the V2 engine plans I suspect that we will actually be able to use one interface (say ES-9) from within the plugin while the DAW handles its own I/O separately on a second interface. I hope so, as this would be best-of-both-worlds while having to route everything would, I agree, be a pain.

Rack V2 is planned to allow multiple simultaneous audio interfaces (on all platforms) from the standalone app (which is harder than opening up a side connection), and I think the full engine is running when it’s in VST link mode anyway. Of course I could be misunderstanding the plan, or the plan could change!

1 Like

That’s how I understand it too.

2 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t been following too closely, but I’d understood that multiple sound cards had been part of the plan. It would be amazing, but I do have to doubt how well this would work from a plugin though, if at all. Either way, I don’t think it’d be too difficult to set up an instrument rack in Ableton to get to more or less the same result.

Was so looking forward to a VCV Rack vst plugin to use in my DAW. Kept waiting and waiting… Guess it’s dead… Is it dead? :sleepy

probably not, software development takes time and money and is prone to unexpected roadblocks

Likely I’ll be dead before I get to enjoy it!

1 Like

See, these were also old guys waiting for VCV Rack for DAWs…(Dead Are Waiting still)!

1 Like

No. Categorically not dead. Please be patient. It’s coming.

2 Likes

Maybe, we could just stop posting threads like these. I don’t think they will help fastening up the release. More the opposite I think, regarding Andrew‘s posts.

Let‘s not forget, we already have a wonderful sandbox with quadrillions of things to do.

12 Likes

No, it’s not dead at all. It’s just pining for the fjords.

9 Likes

Pinin’ for the fjords? What kind of talk is that?

1 Like

Monty Python Dead Parrot

4 Likes

:slight_smile: Good one…

1 Like

This thread is now in severe danger of the Pralindrome Effect, where the probability increases of the original talking point becoming more and more obfuscated in a spam barrage of obscure python references.

Time to let it join the choir invisible, I guess.

1 Like

I declare that talking point subject is in Schrödinger’s cat superposition.

This thread went wherever I did go.

2.5 hours, anything new?

10 Likes