Your favorite sequencer tool that is beginner friendly?

well, for sure a sequencer can do that, but only if it has a high frequency clock input or can interpolate clocks. It’s a little more “normal modular” to have the clock do this stuff.

For sure I put swing into my DOS sequencer in the 80’s (precursor to Seq++), but in VCV I don’t think that would be a popular way to go…

I suppose so. :thinking:

But where’s the fun in that? Here’s what my Dancing Bear proof-of-concept looked like:

“The marvellous thing about a dancing bear is not how gracefully it dances, but that it dances at all.” - somebody or other, a long time ago

2 Likes

I’m not keen on only having swing available via the clock in something like a drum sequencer that has lanes for say a kick, that you want to stick to a rigid four to the floor, and hats that swing. I understand that modular can mean separate sequencers for each element, but where do all the Dogme 95 style rules end, do we have to only ever use sine wave oscillators because anything else is cheating?

calm down, sparky, it’s ok! Obviously I think it’s fine - for one thing my Seq++ let’s you easily nudge individual notes/drums by tinny amounts. And it does require a 96 PPQ clock.

1 Like

Speaking of variety and user friendly dont forget Orcas Heart

4 Likes

I really would love to get some touch interface this mouse clicking on sequencers makes me dizzy.

Other than that. Which sequencer comes close to “Live Session View”. I’d really like to have some advanced sequencers … Yes I know: The “PRO” Version as VST and then just use a grown up sequencer. Jet would be nice to have a setup inside of rack.

And I already know the answer from you guys: Entrian and Seq++ I just don’t like how I have to use them.

@Squinky would you be open for some UX improvements, if I can come up with some?

Sorry, no, I don’t maintain those modules any longer. @robert.kock does.

I personally consider that module one of my biggest failures. There is an enormous amount of code in there, an enormous amount of work to write it all, and an enormous amount of test code. As far as I can tell it’s rarely used. I think I missed the mark on that one.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call them a failure. They do their job. It’s just kind of not really intuitive for me. And thanks for the pointer of the updated modules. You do have a lot of hits in there.

oh, I’m not trying to feel sorry for myself, and yes, there were some pretty popular Squinky Labs modules. There are just a few notable flops that took maybe 10X to 100X more effort to develop and were never super popular. Those being Seq++, SFZ Player and 4X4.

:thinking: I dunno about that. SFZ Player is pretty popular with me. And, as near as I can tell, it’s the only module of its kind. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Love your patch!

I will second that. SFZ Player is very popular with me and the only SFZ player in VCV Rack that I know of. I think a lot of people are sleeping on the possibilities that it provides.

For beginner friendly sequencers, in addition to the excellent modules already mentioned, I would suggest looking at the Sha#Bang! modules. There are several really good generative sequencers that are fun and pretty easy to figure out.

(scroll down, sequencers towards the end)

I love Seq++ - MIDi import into a piano roll in VCV is awesome. OT but SFZ player is great! Organ-3 too.

1 Like

SFZ is great! I’m sorry you feel that it is under appreciated.

My metric is pretty simple. how often do I see it in a patch someone posts, or see a mention of a module divided by how much time it took to make. Some resonate with ppl. Like LFN that took a couple of days to make and I still see a lot. SFZ player took maybe months instead of days, and I don’t see it much It’s much more common to see ppl use host and a VST sampler.

I don’t know if you’ve ever said anything like that in public. possibly. For sure if more ppl did, or if VCV were more supportive I might very well still be making them.

You really should. No need to be disappointed or frustrated because of playing in front of a small crowd.

well, like @modlfo says, you really need some decent reason to devote a ton of time to this pursuit. I just could not find a good reason to do this any longer. But there are plenty of ppl who are happy to do it, so everything will be fine.

2 Likes

I think I would have but I could be wrong too. Either way, you have definitely left a legacy for @robert.kock to continue and you are making modules again, I hope you’re enjoying it.

thanks. Not sure if I will bother to release those new modules to the library.