Which platform are you most likely to listen to modular music?

is this community more likely to watch a patch? or is just audio preferred? Do people wanna see the patch or are cool visuals more interesting?

1 Like

I think have mixes audience here, for someones see the patch is great, others like show the patch , and others not cares about that

I prefer music, is not necessary the patch, If the music have some kind visuals is great

2 Likes

many prefer to see a video with the patch in action and then to have a chance to download the patch if they like it

2 Likes

All the modular stuff that I interact with is either Youtube or Twitch.

Iā€™ve tried experimenting with visuals but there is no agreement as to whether my videos are improved by messing about. Some people are really distracted by bright colors, other people seem to prefer them. Of course, it could just be that my videos arenā€™t great.

1 Like

Some random thoughts:

• I prefer written explanations whenever possible
  • I watch some videos to learn more about modules or techniques
  • Itā€™s unlikely I will watch the video of a patch just because I like the music
  • in general, itā€™s unlikely I will watch anything just because I like the music
  • I dislike Youtube in general because of user comments and algorithmic-based suggestions
  • the platform where Iā€™m most likely to listen to modular music is Soundcloud or Mixcloud if Iā€™m simply listening; Bandcamp if Iā€™m looking for new artists or new tracks
1 Like

Are you showing patching tricks to peers to talk shop, or are you trying to get a general audience to listen to your music?

A general audience doesnā€™t care about ā€œmodular musicā€ or the tools of the trade. The aesthetic of the modular, virtual or not, can be enticing, but more often than not, itā€™s a nerd turning her back to you or looking down at a table pensively - thatā€™s not very fun.

When I post videos here, I have zero quality standards, if the video illustrates something relevant to the conversation I post it. Half of my videos are so amateurish I have them unlisted on Youtube. 98% of what I post on Youtube never makes it to Soundcloud / Bandcamp.

3 Likes

On this site, Iā€™m here as a producer of music, not a consumer, so all Iā€™m interested in is seeing how others go about what they do, if that is obscured by ā€˜cool visualsā€™ or whatever, I pass.

2 Likes

Present things the way you want to, be yourself. Itā€™s your music, your vision.

Donā€™t fall into the trap of chasing the numbers and pandering to what you think people want, because what they want changes on a daily basis.

5 Likes

I like youtube. Fun to see what Iā€™m listening to.

5 Likes

I turn the video on to listen to the music. If something makes me go ā€œooh thatā€™s coolā€ then Iā€™ll find that bit in the video later and try to understand. Itā€™s the music, man. :slight_smile: If itā€™s a video done specifically to explain a technique then theyā€™ve got my eyeballs.

5 Likes

I completely agree. The real regret is for not being able to express their dreams, regardless of the fame achieved.

1 Like

I would like to see the patch AND hear the audio.

2 Likes

@David Seems like it pretty much comes down to personal preference, of course the music is necessary but the platform we consume that music is completely personal

@Aria_Salvatrice Thatā€™s interesting, I mainly post on soundcloud and I have very low standards for that. But, YouTube has to be right n I sometimes do 2 or 3 takes of a patch before Iā€™m happy with it.

@down_of_hares Thatā€™s so right.