Where are the favorites saved

My computer somehow destroyed racks configuration and now I’m down to a fresh start. How do I recover from this?

I just updated from my previous version of Rack 2.x.x Pro to version 2.5.1 and experienced maybe what happened to you a few minutes ago.

I am running on Linux. Previously, all my patches and etc. were saved in /home/.Rack2/patches but now they seem to have moved after first running VCV Rack after the update to /home/.local/share/Rack2/patches. All the other supporting folders are there as well.

I discovered that when I looked in the drop down menu in VCV Rack > Help > Open user folder.

I hope this helps.

That help tremendously. On Win10 it is running from C:\Users\shofb\AppData\Local\Rack2 I didn’t know that. Thank you for helping

Awesome!! Happy patching to you.

Oh. I thought you were looking for a list of favorited modules, which are tagged in the settings.json file.

"VCV-Recorder": {
      "Recorder": {
        "favorite": true,
        "added": 54,
        "lastAdded": 1714010589.8958938
      }
    },

But non-favorites just lack that line.

"AudioInterface16": {
        "added": 1,
        "lastAdded": 1680917377.101589
      },

Favorites in VCV Rack are saved in the settings.json file located in the VCV Rack user folder. Restore from a backup if available.

The same happened to me and I can’t find any solution…the only way to recover favorites is through a backup, right? Guess I have no luck…

It would be ideal if favorites were tied to VCV account and synced via cloud.

2 Likes

For sure. I updated the software and lost all favorites. The settings file wasn’t moved to the new folder, but the file on the original folder didn’t have the favorites either, maybe it overwrited over the previous file anyway and recently whole collections started to be added to the library instead of specific modules, right? So I’ll have to scroll through more modules than what I would like to have just to find as many old favourites as possible…

it’s a nice idea! I have sent a feature request to the support

2 Likes