When I'm not making Mutants... I'm making Monsters!

Well, hello there! I’ve been putting some more modules together, unlike the Mutants these are originals. The first 3 I present are Hydra, Gegenees and a Monsters Blank.

Hydra is an 8 to 1 switch, Gegenees is a 1 to 8 switch and the blank is… glowy.

How are the switches different?

• Don’t compromise! Need a switch that resets to the first step (like, say, Seq-3)? We got you covered! Need a switch that resets to “wait for clock” or “no step” (like the Count Modula ones?) We got you covered as well! The option is just a single click away.
  • Ever wanted a switch with random step selection that doesn’t repeat the same step consecutively? (I did!) These Monsters do that as well!
  • Embrace the nostalgia of taking halci… having some fun at the pinball arcade with their pinball inspired UIs.
  • Statistics inclined? These monsters use Melissa O’Neill’s MIT licensed PCG library for random number generation. The PCG library is statistically sound, fast and compact, unlike, say the Mersenne Twister I’ve seen used in some modules that love gorging on the CPU. (N.B. If you enable the option to not repeat the same value consecutively when randomizing, the lovely flat distribution curve gets, ostensibly, bumpy).
  • Like clicking or using those light up MIDI pads? If it looks like a button… it is clickable: select any step directly and trigger everything by hand if that is your desire.
  • Love those big, fat polyphonic cables? The inputs and outputs cater to you.
  • Love reading? We have an extensive manual.

Want your rack to look sleek? Put a vampire with our glowing “Monsters” logo on your Rack to protect it from dust in one of those inconvenient empty spaces.

The release can be found here:

5 Likes

My “Arpeggiator” uses Mersenne twister. Works great for me, but I do use my own code for “no repeat”. If you only use at at most when the clock goes high, then does it really matter how much CPU is uses (within reason)?

Didn’t know about your arpeggiator. That said: I used (and loved) Mersenne Twister for quite a few applications (I like making games…for DOS… and dice rollers) then I started finding out about both its failures and inefficiencies. That’s how I got to PCG. I took it for a few spins and when compared to my then beloved Mersenne Twister… it danced around it performance wise. Making good RNGs is not an easy task. Perhaps you would like to check PCG out sometime and fall in love with it too. It’s really, really easy to use.

I would only use something not built into the runtime if it had an advantage in my use. I don’t think I have a use where I would make a random number often enough for it to make a difference. I guess if you were calling it for every sample, but I don’t think I would ever do that?

All righty then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ideally this will be the last post in this topic: Announcements for Monsters will appear, upon approval, in the eponymous category.

Sanguine Monsters 2.1.0 has been released!

• Clone monophonic channels to polyphonic outputs with our new, resident cloner “Dolly-X”! An undead sheep bent on cloning everything you feed it. It has such zeal… it began by cloning itself: this is a dual module.

• Want to select a single channel from a polyphonic input to use as a switch? The creature in “Oraculus” has you covered!

• Need a flexible fixed voltage source? “Raiju”, the lightning wolf, obeys your commands. It even offers a polyphonic output with one of each of the eight available voltages always at the ready. Need several copies of the same voltage as a polyphonic output? Each voltage channel can clone itself in its individual output, with user selectable clone counts per channel.

• Want an attractive Euclidean sequencer? “Sphinx” is ready to produce a variety of patterns

• Based on Southpole’s SNS; but with several enhancements:
      • It actually lets you set up to 32 steps.
      • Fixes an annoying bug where spurious steps were being generated if padding and rotation were applied at the same time.
      • The OLED screen changes color to reflect the currently selected mode (and controls show up in the darkness as they should, because the light hurts vampires’ eyes).
      • No need for menu diving! Everything is right there on the face plate.
      • Generates triggers on End of Cycle.
  • Want to easily synchronize audio and video in post? You need slates and, ideally, firing every recorder at once! You need “Brainz”! “Brainz” is a complex sequencer for controlling recorders and sending recordable metronome “slates” or audio bursts so that outputs can be easily synchronized. The best place to start using it is reading the manual.

• “Hydra” and “Gegenees” now gray out their inactive steps: visuals are important!

• While drunk step buttons that briefly flash their unselected state when you click them is a passing amusement… it gets old fast. So this is fixed in “Hydra” and “Gegenees”.

• The manuals for Monsters and Mutants now have their own repository! Update your Monsters today so they point to the proper address!

• The manual covers every available module so far and even includes a short tale for every monster!

Get your Monsters here!

5 Likes

Oohh… very interesting! Thanks. Is this plugin going to be in the library?

I’ll send the request, hopefully it will get approved.