WhatTheRack: a Rack randomizer

Works great @korfuri, would it be possible to add a box to type in number of random modules one wants to add? That would take it to the next level, as sometimes I have a skeleton I like but then finding that something odd and interesting to add is not easy, so i have wished often to chose one or two random modules to add at a time instead of 20 or whatever the number (not counted, too lazy :wink: )

I just pushed version 0.6.2 which includes a new module, WhatTheMod. This lets you summon 1 module of a given category among: VCO, LFO, VCA, sequencer, clock, effect, filter, envelope generator, mixer or misc modules. I’m hoping that this will be more useful for the use case of “I know I need a LFO here, what could I use?” or to make random racks with a different configuration than what WhatTheRack pre-selects.

Here’s the dist for Linux: WhatTheRack-0.6.2-lin.zip (500.2 KB)

8 Likes

Nice, thank you!

WhatTheRack-0.6.2-win.zip (501.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick win build :+1:

I had a lot of fun with this last night - awesome idea, thanks for creating the module!

@korfuri, your plugin is simply fantastic! Seriously, at first I thought it was a joke but then I started to use it more frequently and I discovered that:

1. I tend to use the same modules over and over (and that’s not bad)
  2. I never use some good plugins (and that’s bad) I discovered thanks to you!
  3. I never use some good modules (and that’s bad also)

So I have to say you extended my VCV horizons! Hence, thanks you so much!

1 Like

This is great, thank you. I think this is more useful for my minimal knowledge, I realised how little I do know after using the full version module a few times.

@diimdeep , in case you missed it

new MAC version?

WhatTheRack-0.6.2-mac.zip (1.4 MB)

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @diimdeep !!!

Thanks for the last module! Here is one of my excercise.
5 Likes

The random module feature is so cool.

1 Like

I just discovered this thread! :roll_eyes: … Wonderful idea @korfuri! :heart_eyes:

Has anyone thought of making a contest based on this module?
I think it would be a great idea, don’t you think?

Some suggestions:

1. WhatTheRack Randomizer: Personally I think that the possibility of being able to enter the number of modules to be generated (from a minimum fixed number of them), would make it even more interesting.

2. It would be nice to have a switch to indicate to both WhatTheRack modules, if we want the parameters of all the selected modules to be random or simply to be initialized … After all, it is a more logical workflow (at least for me), randomize the parameters of any of the modules selected by WhatTheRack once they are in the Rack, than have to initialize them once there.

P.S.: THANKS A LOT for compiling this for Mac, @diimdeep! … and for Windows, @Coirt + @dtr2300

5 Likes

For anyone who didn’t want to bother with manual install, WhatTheRack is now available in the plugin store :slight_smile: https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html#WhatTheRack

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

5 Likes
  1. That might be easier to do in v1 of rack @korfuri
1 Like

Re (1), I’m going to look into that. Maybe in v1 as @Coirt suggests, I haven’t looked enough at the API changes yet.

Re (2), so far I prefer random-by-default, because it’s very easy to reset the parameters you don’t want randomized (just right-click them), whereas it’s hard to randomize just one parameter manually, and I’m aiming for maximum chaos. At least in my trials I’ve found that randomizing the modules means that even modules I’m familiar with have a few new tricks to teach me, whereas if I start with a module from the default state I won’t learn what cool things it does when params are tuned randomly.

1 Like

I dream of a new module that would randomly patch cables :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
total randomness, or starting with well known modules and rediscover them
maybe this is possible ?

2 Likes

We should invite Elon Musk with https://openai.com so they make machine teach itself make cool unique patches.

The current master branch at https://github.com/korfuri/WhatTheRack has something like that, creating a random wire between any output and any free input. I call it WhatTheJack. But it’s not great right now - it’s completely random so it creates more of a mess than something that stimulates creativity. Ideas on making it more interesting very welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like