what's your favorite musical scale?

Interesting information,need to delve more into this topic

1 Like

All of them (just joking, my favorite is probably Lydian: {0, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11}).

I made a web tool that let’s you explore, filter, and sort all possible scales in 12TET (2048 total). Currently you need a desktop browser to use these parts of the tool. The UI is still a bit unintuitive, but it is basically usable, and you can play around with it.

5 Likes

As a fellow Dane I must apologize for his terrible and somewhat childish danish accent. But I wish I could play like that. I’m probably too old to learn this stuff at this point anyway and I wish I had taken some lessons as a youngster. But I like generative and just feeling my way and my ears don’t deceive me, so I’m having fun anyway. It was interesting but I need something even more fundamental if I’m going to get anywhere with theory, say, starting with “what’s the difference between the white and the black keys” :slight_smile: I know…

Oh cool!

1 Like

:sunglasses: not quite, but interesting non the less…

This is what I meant

2 Likes

Hmmm. The colour! Also, everybody knows that white keys go first. Maybe that’s about chess though…

But honestly i have a similar question about the marks on the guitar neck. It is cool to have a dot on the 12th fret and 5th fret. But then it’s just chaos… Some guitars have 5th,7th and 12th fret marked. Some of them have dots on the 1st,3rd,5th and 12th… Why…

PS Don’t know why I am responding to Yeager. Sorry!

2 Likes

Music theory is a very interesting topic to study. But what I’ve noticed from jamming with various musicians is that people with a music theory background are more conservative and hold back alot more than self taught musicians who don’t know a thing about theory. Its very interesting from a psychological perspective. I completely agree that you have to know the rules before you can break them, but some people just have a talent to hear and feel. That is why I believe programs like VCV are great to experiment with, because everything is at your fingertips. If it sounds bad it’s bad, and if it sounds good it’s good. Regardless of what music theory is used or not. Techno was built around this theory :slightly_smiling_face:. But yes, music theory is awesome, but don’t let it control you. Just my 2 cents…

3 Likes

12th fret is one octave. 7th fret is the 7th note (5th in scale) and 5th fret is the 5th note (4th in scale). Also 12th fret is the first harmonic, 7th fret the second, and 5th is the 3rd harmonic. The dots are just there to find the notes easier when you’re falling off the stage.

C Minor is my go-to / default. Followed by G, F, and B minor. I like trying Lydian and Mixolydian at times as well, and occasionally Phyrgian.

Well, I know. Harmonics and all that, but that’s not why I am confused. I am confused that there’s no standard for the dots. I have 2 normal guitars and 2 basses. And here’s what it looks like:

Guitars:

1. 5, 7, 12

2. 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21

Basses:

1. 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17

2. 5, 7, 12, 17, 19

That’s very inconsistent and a bit annoying, cause I would like a standard here… That’s very serious!

1 Like

:smile: that is serious!! I suppose it depends on the manufacturer. But the important ones are there. Imagine if there were dots at the 4th 6th and 13th fret. That would be confusing.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching this series now, it’s fantastic!

1 Like

Miskatonic minor.

Wonder if those random notes you’ve got your quantizer set for might be a scale? Look here The Exciting Universe Of Music Theory

4 Likes

according to this, my favorite scale is called “Raga Gopikavasantam” lol

meh That’s just a mode of " Arezzo Major Diatonic Hexachord"

Seems like I have invented a wheel…

I’ve been enjoying meantone harmonic minor in 19 equal divisions of the octave (19edo). The only way I’ve been able to achieve in Rack is using QuantMT from Grande.

1 Like

I remember and article from like the 80’s in Computer Music Journal showing that 19 equal gave you the normal intervals much more in tune that 12 equal. I think 19 was much “better” than any of the others under 30.

E-flat minor pentatonic (over a pedal point on the tonic)…

4 Likes

I played around a bit with 31edo, but that was a little too much variability. I’ve found 19 much more pleasant to my ear. It’s just enough to hear the difference between many of the tones, but not so much that it sounds “bad”.