What is this guitar technique called?

Never enough hours in the day to go down all these rabbit holes :rabbit2: :wink:

1 Like

And he’s remixing a bunch of king crimson records (porcupine tree connection?)

Tosin is the most interesting guitarist I’ve heard since I was a little kid. Totally unique and insane.

1 Like

Steven Wilson has remixed so much music, often including surround versions in addition to stereo, and not just prog rock: King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes, Gentle Giant, Tangerine Dream, Marillion, Caravan, Roxy Music, Tears For Fears, Chicago, XTC, Rush, Simple Minds…

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/steven-wilson-remixing-classic-albums

My son interviewed Steven Wilson too, just before his 2013 Australian tour of The Raven That Refused To Sing.

https://piko.com.au/in-disciplined/?p=24#more-24

AFAIK, the tremolo (picking) terminology comes from the classical world. It’s a simple way to get sustained notes with varying dynamics on plucked strings.

Here’s a detailed explanation about tremolo picking in the classical mandolin world:

totally makes sense. I’ll buy it. but these days, the metal thing is the most common usage. Just google it and here’s what you get:

I doubt that most common within YouTube search results implies ´most common these days’. Especially not for a technique this widespread on plucked instruments. But YMMV.

really? ok.

Listen to Arab Oud music etc., lots of tremelo.

2 Likes

Yes! My favorite tradition for that!!

Execution is different with the fingers instead of a plectrum, but I also loooove the way flamenco guitarists use tremolo:

1 Like

Yeah, I immediately thought of Arab music when I watched that video.

1 Like

BTW, another Steven WIlson remix about to be released in October (including 5.1 surround): Tears For Fears “The Seeds Of Love”

Points to whoever can make some “hipster progressive north american black metal” in VCV Rack :smiley:

1 Like

perhaps mechanical advantage is needed,.

I think I know someone…

1 Like

old people might be reminded of the “gizmotron”?

1 Like

i remember reading an article about it back in the 90s. And seeing a photo of Peter Cook (the satirst) holding one. It seems like kind of a poor idea though.

Yeah, e bow was a lot more popular. I have one of those.