What is the useable bandwith of the gamepad input?

I just had an idea and it would be awesome if someone could tell me if this is possible or not, before i spend a ton of time researching the subject end ending up in a dead end.

I would like to use the Gamepad Button mapping in VCV Rack for something it is was not designed for.
Or at least i think so :slight_smile:

I would like to send high refresh rate signals over that interface, to be more precise, 16 to 32 analog inputs with a refresh rate of around 60hz to 90hz.

And then i would like to write a VCV Rack plugin that can receive that data and output it as CV.

Do you think this is feaseable?
The numbers are variable and just serve for rough gestimation.

Thank you very much for reading this far :slight_smile:

Greetings, Peter

Rack’s gamepad MIDI driver queries the gamepad state every screen refresh. So if your screen renders at 60 Hz, the gamepad will update at 60 Hz.

No need to write a plugin. MIDI-CC (and other modules) already convert gamepad joysticks/buttons to CV.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you for the reply!

I want to do some other funny stuff, that is why i would like a custom output, but for the button mapping you are right :slight_smile:

One additional question, can i write a module that takes the output of two USB HID channel and then do some math with both values and put out the result as a high resolution CV voltage to other modules?

There’s no reason you can’t do that with the Rack API.

Thank you, that is very good news!