What are you Watching? (Educational)

1 Like

Rick Beato interviews Sting and Dominic Miller

7 Likes

A very fascinating person. Decades ago I’ve read an ‘old’ book from the bookshelf of my father that explains his ‘Relativity Theory’. I’ve read this periodically again but I understood less than the half of it :smiley:

If You ever will be near Berne in Switzerland, visit the ‘Einstein House’ in the historic old part of the Swiss Capital.

1 Like
6 Likes

Tangerine Dream exhibition at the Barbican in London

6 Likes

Good stuff!

Gear tour by Thorsten Quaeschning (of the current Tangerine Dream)

I needed auto-translate from German to English :wink:

3 Likes

Browsing the sequencer user guide :slight_smile: https://www.manikin-electronic.com/Products/Schrittmacher/

5 Likes

Very interesting, although, please note that as Hainbach says it might be a fake story, e.g. the website in the movie doesn’t exist. But entertaining at the least and a great story, true or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Which videos do you recommend?

Cool ! The Episode IV is here :sunglasses:

@pyer a big thank You for sharing this absolutely interesting and very well explained series.

10 Likes

Hey @cronch.amp, welcome to the forum. Here are some tracks that I made. A link to the inspiring Numberphile video is in the description: https://soundcloud.com/henklasschuit/kaprekar https://soundcloud.com/henklasschuit/pisanomelodies

Have fun!

1 Like

Basics of ambisonics/spatial sound

1 Like

Some background about why I am watching loopop’s video linked below

Music as immersive audio is becoming more accessible, and is now being streamed by Tidal, Amazon Music and Apple. The streaming platforms take Dolby Atmos media in the format of ADM BWF - Audio Definition Model Broadcast Wave Format. This is basically a WAVE file with additional meta data such as sound source position. The positional data is used when the data is rendered at the time of listening on the target device, so you need a device that understands the format.

Many music producers are getting into Dolby Atmos. It is a common topic on YT channels such as Produce Like A Pro. Steven Wilson, who has been engaged by major artists to produce their 5.1 surround mixes (Jethro Tull, Yes, Tangerine Dream, XTC, King Crimson, Chicago, Roxy Music, Rush, etc
), has now moved to using Dolby Atmos because of demand (mentioned on both the Electronically Yours and The Album Years podcasts).

My Windows PC connects to an audio-video receiver that supports Dolby Atmos. When not connected to the AVR I still get Dolby Atmos through headphones.

I have been using Davinci Resolve Studio on Windows to create Dolby Atmos ADM BWF. This format can be converted to MP4 for distribution as files and playing on other devices. Binaural files can also be created for devices that don’t support Dolby Atmos, but of course should be listened to through headphones.

In this video, loopop deconstructs some Dolby Atmos music releases using an expensive piece of equipment. It’s not necessary to have this gear to create immersive music, but it interesting to use it to break down tracks created by others to understand their approach.

1 Like

As a follow-up, more Atmos news

Unfortunately, Loumavox was a fake documentary. The students talk about it in the follow video.

Too bad, because it would been a great story if it was true.

1 Like