What are you reading?

I’m about 40% through Haruki Murakami’s “The Wind-Up Bid Chronicle”. So lar, I prefer “1Q84”.

1 Like

That’s the only Murakami I’ve read and I thought it was pretty interesting.

I’ve yet to read this one. Indeed “1Q84” is a really good trilogy. I highly recommend “Kafka on the Shore”, currently my fave of his.

1 Like

I very much enjoyed Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, but note it’s probably been a good 20 years since my last reading & I haven’t read enough of his other works to really rank them. It did make an impression, though.

1 Like

ESP8266 Specs. Trying to stream live (contact)microphone sound over wifi from microphones to liquidsoap to icecast to Bidoo antN in Rack

https://arduino-esp8266.readthedocs.io/en/2.7.4_a/

Mostly for my day job, but it’s proven to be useful for this music stuff. In particular the chapter on tympanometry was really good in helping me appreciate the relationships between LCR filters, spring-mass mechanical systems and acoustic fluid dynamics.

Interestingly the only significant paper I could find on the subject of modelling VU-meters was from an audiology journal.

A model of the VU (volume-unit) meter, with speech applications Bryce E. Lobdell and Jont B. Allen

2 Likes

Just got the reissue of Eno’s “A Year with Swollen Appendices” delivered yesterday.

Reading “The Rest is Noise” by Alex Ross. Using it to guide my listening habits. After I read about a particular work, I listen to it the following day while I work.

Today’s listening is Alban Berg’s “Five Orchestral Songs”.

2 Likes

When I read 1Q84, it felt like his prior works had been prototypes for it.

Still slogging through “The Wind-Up Bid Chronicle”, with about 60 pages to go and I still don’t really know what’s going on.

It could’ve been half the length.

I am reading “The Hatter’s Castle” by Archibald Cronin. The novel is gloomy, joyless. At first it was a little tedious, but after about 150 pages it became much more interesting, I have already read more than half and I am eager to know how the novel will end. Special did not read any reviews so as not to stumble upon spoilers.

1 Like

I finally finished “The Wind-Up Bid Chronicle”. I still have no idea what it’s about. It seemed to end rather abruptly with not much of a satisfying conclusion.

Now I’m into “Cibola Burn” by James S. A. Corey, fourth in the “The Expanse” series. It’s a pretty good space opera.

On a related note, I scored a Kobo Touch e-reader from the Salvation Army Thrift Store today. I was gambling on it because it was totally dead, but after an hour or so of charging and another hour and a half of button-mashing I managed to bring it back to life with a factory reset. That one’s for SWMBO.

A few days ago I started reading “The Castle” by Franz Kafka. I can say one thing: this is a very strange novel. There are a lot of dialogues, reasoning, but it is not clear where the plot will lead, there are not very many actions.

That’s a pretty good one - I think I read it twice. but it does take some stamina to finish it.

Think DSP

Digital Signal Processing in Python

by Allen B. Downey

Think DSP is a Free Book. It is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License, which means that you are free to copy, distribute, and modify it, as long as you attribute the work and don’t use it for commercial purposes.

https://greenteapress.com/wp/think-dsp/

3 Likes

I’ve been re-reading Cole Gagne’s Soundpieces 2: Interviews With American Composers. The interview with Lucia Dlugoszewski is wonderful. Lots of fascinating tales from the likes of Morton Subotnick, Terry Riley, Laurie Spiegel, Pauline Oliveros, LaMonte Young, Sun Ra, and others, many of whom worked in the early days of modular synthesizers.

https://teropa.info/loop/#/title

2 Likes

The latest issue of Computer Music (UK, not sure if you can get it elsewhere, I get it digitally on Readly) has a whole bunch of nice Synth stuff in it