What are you listening to?

6 Likes

“B-complex” is a Renoise user +

Latest Peter Gabriel track, second release from his upcoming album “i/o”

1 Like

Am I too late for Smells Like Teen Spirit covers?

Maybe not, I’m a year late to this or forty years late depending on your perspective.

It’s odd how it seems to be fighting to turn into Tangled Up In Blue all the way through.

Thanks Paul. How do you like it, the new stuff? I’ve gotta be honest and say the two tracks released so far hasn’t exactly wow’ed me… I mean, I can hear it’s Peter Gabriel and it’s Ok, it’s just that in my ears it’s mostly a slightly tired rehash of his elements I’ve heard before, and not from his best albums (IMHO). I’m in real doubt whether to get tickets for the concert here. I absolutely hate the feeling of being disappointed by my heroes.

I know it wasn’t a question for me, but I think the song is ok. But the production is weird… I don’t know if it’s youtube\my headphones\audio interface or a production choice, but despite all that implied dynamics (like quiet\loud and thin\full) it sounds very bleak and even (and it’s clipping sometimes. Or is it just me? Maybe I am imagining things). That cool bongos or congos motif or whatever, I think, should’ve been (maybe it wasn’t even planned) the main hook in the verse, but it’s getting lost behind all the other stuff, so you are sitting and trying to hear where they are, like “aha, I hear it I hear it, nice”. It distracts you a lot. I don’t know who’s the producer here, but he’s not doing a good job.

And I don’t even remember the first song now. A bit forgettable. This song is not this forgettable, but still… meh. A nice radio-friendly thing, I guess. Not the best by Peter Gabriel though.

My problem is - I think it is forgettable.

No, not by a far stretch in my book.

I’ll try and listen later on headphones to the production issues you mention…

Some excellent stuff from way back when and still sounding great

2 Likes

Seeing them again in June in Hammersmith. Last time was back in 93-ish in Enschede.

2 Likes

Is Peter Bardens still in Camel? I first heard him via a Fleetwood Mac CD, because Peter Green played guitar with The Peters B’s. Oh, I see he died 20 years ago, so probably not ;-(

1 Like

Love for spaceballs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love Camel to bits! One of the greatest prog bands of all time IMHO, but way too unknown, probably because they never really broke through in the states. In many ways rivalling a band like Genesis, except for the vocals of course, and that might have been it. Hardly any vocals probably means a lot less airplay. Fantastic band, and great concert!

1 Like

I’ve listened and I see what you mean. It’s a highly compressed, super-saturated and slightly distorted sound esthetic that PG has used before, both on UP and to a lesser extent on US. But it’s like they overdid it on this one, and on a few occasions it does sound kind of clippy. And the voices often sit super-weird in the mix. It’s called “Dark-side mix”, whatever that means, so just perhaps it’s not the final master. I kind of hope not because it’s definately not sounding great, but rather muddy and overcooked. We shall see. Could also be an instance where YouTube mistreated it of course.

My favorite sounding PG album is PG:4 (“Security”), and especially the “Plays Live” live-album right after it. Stellar quality, although there is a bit of hissing on his voice.

Yeah. and it doesn’t work here, for this song. A bit out of place, all that squeezing isn’t doing a favour for the dynamics and whatnot. I can feel (or so I imagine) what they were trying to achieve and I like it better (I like what I imagine this song should be like haha). You were right though, it is a bit forgettable too…Cause now when I am trying to remember how this song sounds, I just can’t recall anything expect ideas and concepts that were behind it (bongos - distorted piano - choir-ish chorus that suddenly widens the sound field), no melodies, no rhythms though… Just concepts. Weird

Oooh, nice choice. I am not sure what is my favorite sounding PG album… Maybe the third one… What is it… Melt? Meld? I don’t remember, I remember the album art (a very creepy photo) and songs. Kinda experimental. I think Tony Levin was playing there… Am I wrong? I might be… The start of Intruder always sounded to me like a Stick Bass guitar being tapped, by the way! But I think it’s just guitar, I googled it few years ago, hahaha. But I still can imagine Tony Levin playing this stuff on his… ahem, Stick.

1 Like

I agree!

Yes, “Melt”. It’s a great album, the first one I heard and it really captivated me. It was also the debut of the famous gated drum sound, and many people don’t know that Phil Collins played drums on it. Tony Levin does play bass but only on one song. It’s quite a mix of people in there. I also love his movie soundtracks. Stuff like “Passion” and “Birdy” are ingenious in my mind, some of his most enjoyable works.

1 Like

Doesn’t immediately grab me. PG calls says that second track is “a quirky little song with odd time signatures, but I like it”. They are some unexpected moments in there that might grow on me.

I do like his thoughts behind the tracks and the connections to visual art.

1 Like

Of course, Intruder is where the particular flavour of gated reverb started with Phil Collins on drums and Hugh Padgham at the desk.

1 Like

Just found out one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite bands is a cover; mind = blown

1 Like