Welcome To Mars! #vcv2mars - 1 minute challenge

Nice! Just like Pineapple_Davie, I just created a little patch of the same topic about a week ago. I might have an other go to depict the rover in action too, not just “asleep”. :smiley:

As it is a generative patch, I don’t think that I recorded the nicest possible 9 minutes, but around the middle/end sections it is more peaceful, less dissonant. The beauty of modular and generative music is that if you are patient and sit around you will be rewarded with some nice passages you would never come about otherwise. :slight_smile: (at least for us newbies who can not control the chaos yet) :smiley:

1 Like

good idea for a challenge!

there are other free options too for getting the video and music together. it is pretty straightforward to do in the reaper daw; just take care to choose the right settings. and reaper currently has a temporary free license because of the pandemic (at the top of the download page).

another option, if you have already recorded your audio, is to use the open source tool mkvtoolnix.

1 Like

Here you go. I put together a slightly microtonal melody with some odds and ends. I had the song fade out, but the video didn’t like that, so it just stops at the end.

4 Likes

G.r.e.a.t. generative stuff!!! I imagine it playing in the background while Perseverance approaches the Jezero crater … :+1:

Martian’s don’t do VCV in firmware, obviously … #vcv2mars

Took slightly more than a minute … voice courtesy of NASA. The rest is all straight free VCV modules.

5 Likes

Alien worlds, so here’s Eine Kleine Krellmusik (krell-ish)

5 Likes

G.r.e.a.t.!!! This one suggests to me: “Ok, the serious guys at NASA are relaxing thinking that everything is going well and ignoring that the martians are behind the rover … ready to disassemble it and transform it into a toaster” :smiley::+1:

G.r.e.a.t. atmosphere!!! … Rover’s Artificial Intelligence module: “What the hell am I doing here, alone and without a shred of a gun … if I move forward a tire, I’m dead” … :+1:

Here’s another one for you. Martian Rituals. More minimalistic/generative.

I also posted an extended 8 minute video.

or you can download the patch and let it run for hours.

2 Likes

G.r.e.a.t.!!! More determined atmosphere, clearly from the alien side … waiting to “eat” the rover … :+1:

I always enjoy what gets sparked by little challenges like these… this one especially since my grandfather was a project manager for Viking- he helped design and oversee completion/delivery of the GCMS :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Viking program has been incredible … and to be honest it greatly “re-dimensions” the current missions that are carried out 40+ years later with dramatically improved technology :-). There is also a nice documentary on youtube, I’ll watch it.

1 Like

so here is my contribution to the #vcv2mars​ - 1 minute challenge.

I’d like to remind you that Mars is a hostile and deadly environment for humans. This sound design should express the atmosphere. The whole patch is super simple and contains only 10 modules.

download the patch: Hostile Mars (#vcv2mars - 1 minute challenge) | Patchstorage

10 Likes

I may not pay enough attention to particular differences between modules, but I’d missed Blamsoft’s Distortion pack and oh, man is that a nice Tube!! :heart_eyes:

G.r.e.a.t. bass drone!!! From the alien perspective: “Welcome to Mars … tiny humans!”

Hello! This is my first post! I’ve been in awe of all of the submissions so far. As I was looking through the modules in the VCV library, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the module I chose, Planetz, was created by the creator of this challenge. I hope I did it some justice but I am quite a newbie to modular. I only started in December.

Here’s the video: Kyle Gray Young - One Giant Leap For Martiankind #vcv2mars - YouTube

And here’s my patch and patch notes: https://patchstorage.com/one-giant-leap-for-martiankind/

According to the following website: Cosmic Octave > Mars 144.72 Hz

“Mars is the first outer planet and has a rotation time of a little less than 2 years. In the 33rd octave it oscillates with 144.72 Hz, which agrees to the tone D. Its heliocentric color is a blue with a wavelength of about 470 Nanometers.”

144.72 Hz is just flat of a D, or if A = 433.7 Hz instead of 440 Hz. I used Planetz by Algoritmarte (who happens to be the one who started this challenge!) I searched the VCV library for different modules that had to do with space and decided to give this one a try. What an amazing module and I can’t wait to learn more about how it works! I didn’t know what to do with the 470 nanometers, so I changed the delay time in Chronoblob to 470 ms and put that in the effects loop.

Each of the four outputs from Planetz is run to four different oscillators which are all tuned to 144.72 Hz. Each oscillator has a Quantum module tuned to various notes of the whole tone scale. At first I had each one set to the entire whole tone scale but things got too chaotic so each one only has three notes.

There’s also a bit of red noise from the VCV Fundamental module (seemed appropriate for the red planet) that is meant to be the Martian wind creeping in and out.

I used Terrorform by Valley to create a bass drone on the “Martian D”, or the slightly flat D.

Lastly, I used Bogaudio’s Chirp module to attempt to tune into radio signals on Mars. Nobody has answered yet…

I hope you enjoy!

7 Likes

G.r.e.a.t.!!! … more overall bright tones here … “clearly recorded by the aliens before the arrival of the rover … or after the rover has been assaulted and eaten” :grinning: :+1:

(and I’m glad you enjoyed using Planetz)

1 Like

Thank you! I love your interpretation of it!

Have you made any tutorials with your modules? I’d love to learn more about using them.

Also, how do I embed a video here like others have done?

Not for now, they are focused on building generative patches and I’m still refining them; perhaps I’ll make some specific videos when I’m satisfied with their behavior. You can try to experiment after reading the (succinct) official manual on github (right click “plugin → manual” on the modules).

I think you should put only the youtube link (no text) in a line (with a blank line before and after it).

1 Like

Kinda cool I stumbled across this forum, I was working on a way to use samples from space as a composition.

I ran 4 samples from space (wish I could remember what they were, the only names I gave them were “Soyuz,” “Saturn,” “359 Kepler,” and “Tycho Brahe.”) through Paulstretch and then loaded them into a bunch of granular Voxglitch modules alongside some samples from Peter Kirn’s ESTEC percussion sample pack and looping some sounds from the Perseverance rover itself while running a generative sequence on Orca’s Heart.

4 Likes