In my last couple patches I used three instances of Caudal. One at default, one at 11:00 and one at 10:00 for all of the required CV and triggers for the patch. Many times I’ve used one at default and one at 10:00 for what I needed. The top 4 outputs are all I use per module. No reason to have different speeds on one module, just use another module.
Initially Caudal was gonna allow to control more parameters, like friction, mass, gravity, etc. After using the prototype of Caudal I found a few issues that were not very good.
Controlling the friction: this may produce very anticlimactic results. Many arbitrary values end up slowing down the pendula and it just bounces at the bottom. On the other side, no friction makes the pendula accelerate until the simulation starts producing errors and the outputs are just noise.
Controlling the mass and gravity. These two parameters are related because they define the force subject to the pendula (also the length of the segments). Changing them is a little bit disappointing because the only thing one can see is that the outputs are still chaotic and there’s no immediate effect.
These problems arise because Caudal is an accurate physical simulation.
What ended up doing is, based on the equations, I defined the “Energy” parameter that affects the mass, length and gravity at the same time. For the friction, Caudal has a smart control that changes the friction in order to keep the pendula moving at approximately the set speed. That way the pendula never stops or goes out of control.
I have in mind a new version of Caudal, but rather than changing the core pendula is gonna add more features on the signa conditioning side.