Voxglitch modules - beta testers welcome!

Thanks Bret! Tomorrow I will ch3ck out your updates!

I’ve got another module posted! It’s called “Goblins”. It’s the alter ego of the Ghosts module.

Whereas the Ghost module is tuned to sound pleasant and is easy to use, Goblins is designed for maximum crazy. There’s no click or noise removal and some knob positions make the module freak out - but that’s all intended!

Some notable new features:

• Supports up to 5 samples that you can switch between via CV
  • Pitch input

As usual, you’ll need to build this yourself to play with it. My previous 4 modules have been submitted to the VCV Rack user library. I’m waiting for them to be reviewed and I’m excited to release them!

Enjoy,
Bret

1 Like

Brilliant module and sound solid! Especially kinda natural smooth between loaded samples. And I’m still with annoying button for Purge) I consider it more for midi mapping purpose so that’s a bit time spending on mapping separate gates for it you know. So if you have a room for this button in Goblins it would be fun an easy to click the purge every time to generating something new or something. Otherwise - no complains at all. Thank you for this!

1 Like

Any chance of ghost working on input audio rather than a wav file?

1 Like

Had a little test on Goblins. No bug on OSX as far as I can tell. Nice little noise monster indeed… probably worth putting on a disclaimer for potential speaker damage :slight_smile:

It seems to me the Rate parameter, when turned from just above counter clockwise to full clockwise doesn’t really have an effect, only the first 5% of the knob appear to make a difference (but maybe it’s relative to the sample I loaded, not sure). Maybe adding exponential scaling could allow for finer tweaking ?

Nice work @clone45 !

1 Like

How so?

Because when tweaking with the length parameter in low range can cause quite extreme feedback loops (can have peaks at around 100volts)

I’d suggest putting Clamp on the output…

clamp

1 Like

This has crossed my mind! Would you happen to know if VCV Rack has a way of specifying that an input should be exponential?

@pgatt Yes! I intend to create a new module for this though. It might take a week or two before I get a chance to try this out. I have another module idea in the queue with will probably take a week to complete.

Not AFAIK, I think we have to implement scaling on params with custom code.

that’s strange but maybe not - your limiter can’t really work with huge offseted audio rate signal as Ghost has. But I’ve just added Nysthi DC blocker and the issue has gone. Just FYI. But maybe it’s too obvious just because it has L and R input so it’s for audio for sure)

@clone45 - But I’m still thinking that Ghost or Goblins need that kind of DC offset just because they work at audio rate :slight_smile:

Well, it should do at least. Voltages should not go over ±10v which is 0dB. Anything higher is clipping territory, going into inf. Fundamental scope won’t show values over ±100. A DC-Blocker just filters out lower frequencies, for instance an LFO through a DC blocker would be attenuated.

Have you a patch of Ghost / Goblins that can replicate the behaviour easily?

BRET!!! I’m so happy you’re working on VCV. Your glitch app on Ipad (I can’t remember what it’s called) was fantastic and I looked you up today because I found my old Clone45A-6 cdr and was going to ask if you wanted the files. Some of them are early versions of D.compose tracks, others I don’t think ever saw the light of day anywhere but mp3.com in 2001, and they’re all untitled. Anyway I’m going to try out your new stuff.

1 Like

I just compared it with bogaudio limiter, it works differently. I used pink noise wav file for Ghost but I think source it’s like a breakfast for this module) I think I can replicate some situations tomorrow but as I just said before dc blocker completelt solves an issue for one & two. And I really like your module - knobs link is awesome, set the right level a way faster than any in vcv, thanks!

1 Like

@VCVRackIdeas I’m all ears, but I don’t know much about DC offset. I’ll read up on it after work

This is from the VCV Voltage Standards. Does this mean that I should just let my outputs run wild?

However, if you do not want to model analog output saturation for simplicity or performance reasons, that is perfectly fine. It is much better to allow voltages outside this range rather than use hard clipping with clamp(out, -1.f, 1.f) because in the best case they will be attenuated by a module downstream, and in the worst case, they will be hard clipped by the Audio module from Core.

Not a limiter by any stretch! A limiter works very differently, Clamp doesn’t shape just hard clips. Even the bogaudio limiter would be susceptible to the type of signal that gets emitted. It can happen when the pole z crosses 0 which is what a DC Blocker accounts for (cancels out -0).

1 Like

@kingnostromo Thanks for the warm welcome! That app on the iPad was called “Iterator” because “Repeater” had already been taken. You better believe that I have my eyes set on recreating Glitch DS in VCV Rack, but I’m working up to it. Ha ha ha. I’ll PM you about the CDR. I don’t think that I need it, but I’ll check just in case!

OK! This Youtube video helped me understand about DC offset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKLEjrtHOTs

If that’s really an issue, I’d be happy to either add a filter or perhaps re-center samples along the 0-axis when they are first loaded - if this would help? Thanks for your patience. I’m more of a programmer than an audio engineer.

Hmmm not sure if that is the issue?! DC offset is kind of different to what a DC blocker does, DC blocker just High Passes. In terms of Modular and v/oct yes it is a DC signal, if you were to change an offset knob to plus and negative looking at a scope this would be fairly similar to an LFO, in fact an LFO is just timing the offset regularly. An audio signal that is DC offset is off axis where the centre should be 0v. In the video the signal doesn’t cross 0v therefor the speaker cone doesn’t go back to centre position, which is why you hear an audible click. Also why it happens with most audio clips / samples that don’t transition to 0 correctly.

I don’t fully understand the pole 0 thing myself but to the best of my knowledge… Pole 0 would be in terms of the full spectrum when it crosses 0 it goes into negative Hz; because a DC blocker high pass filters it doesn’t get the chance to cross this pole.