Voxglitch Community Feedback

I think all my voxglitch modules do not load They are up to date

Maybe this has been asked before and I missed it; but I’ve always been curious about why you don’t implement drag and drop of samples? I know that NYSTHI Simpliciter has this feature.

I went with 2.21.2 as it does not hang the module browser.

EDIT: git checkout tags/2.21.2 && make && make dist

EDIT2: you might need a git fetch --all --tags as suggested by some sources.

EDIT3: Not a fan of these warnings.

I’m not a fan of those scary warnings either, but there’s not much we can do about it – they are in the VCV Rack code.

1 Like

I didn’t know that drag-and-drop samples was even possible! I’ll research it when I have time.

I also don’t know why the modules aren’t loading. However, I suspect it has something to do with file paths in linux, or unicode support.

I had a user report a similar issue before who reinstalled essentially their entire operating system, which fixed the problem. Obviously, this isn’t a great solution. See: Background JPG not loading - suggestions for troubleshooting? (was: file::exists false). Unfortunately, I never figured out how to solve this. I’d love some support from VCV Rack, if possible!

Thanks,
Bret

Yeah, me either! As @cosinekitty mentioned, these are triggered by VCV Rack. My arrays aren’t out of bounds (I’m 99% sure?), and I’m not really sure why VCV Rack is throwing warnings for this? It happens to me too. I’m totally open minded if anyone wants to peek at my code and point out any shortcomings. I’m not always right, and I appreciate people’s thoughts on my code!!

Can you wright what do I need to do step by step?

If you have built rack. I’m not sure where the SDK directory for your plugins is. I’m not sure if you have build-essentials and git installed.

cd ~/Rack/plugins
git clone git@github.com:clone45/voxglitch.git
cd voxglitch
git fetch --all --tags
git checkout tags/2.21.2
make
make dist

The plugin will be in voxglitch/dist.

Wait, is this Linux? Can I install previous version of plugin without it? Sorry I’m new to all this

It works for me as a developer. For the library, the plugin developer has to fix and submit to the library build pipeline. It then becomes an updated version a few days later. I’m running lin-arm64 so no library for me yet as it is experimental and I only get what I build myself.

Hi everyone!

However, I’m happy to announce a new upcoming module: “Drum Randomizer”.

Here’s an attempt to describe it:

Imagine that you have a 16 step drum pattern. Maybe you’ve used the Imprompu GATE-SEQ-64 to sequence this pattern. It’s great, but you want to add some variation to it. Specifically, you want some of the beats to play based on a percentage. Maybe, for example, you want a gate at step #3 to play only 50% of the time.

Drum Randomizer to the rescue!

The drum randomizer assumes a pattern length of 16 steps. (This might be configurable in the future.) Each of the 16 steps can be assigned a percentage chance of passing through to the output. It’s multi-channel, so you can use it to modify multiple incoming patterns (up to 16) and the output is also multi-channel.

I’m fairly close to finishing it. It shouldn’t take much longer! I know that there are a number of requests still in my queue. The Drum Randomizer is something that I personally wanted, so it got promoted to the top of my list. Ha ha ha.

PS: I’m still job hunting, which isn’t going very well, which is why I haven’t been more active. If you know of any openings for an engineering manager, please let me know!

13 Likes

Randomizing is life. Can’t wait!!

Why did you pick the Gate-seq-64 as an example, because this is one of the few gate sequencers that already has this function build in ? :wink:

When activating a given step by clicking it once, it will turn green showing that the step is on. Clicking the “p” button turns it yellow, and the main display shows the probability associated with this step. While the probability remains shown, the probability can be adjusted with the main knob, in 0.02 increments, between 0 and 1. When a yellow step is selected, clicking the “p” button again will turn it off.

2 Likes

Ha ha ha. That’s hilarious. Whoops! Bad example.

2 Likes

Is there a beta release available somewhere for testing?

Not yet! I’m still working on the panel elements at the moment. I’ll keep you posted!

2 Likes

OK! The drum randomizer should be ready for testing!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GIt0Co_TEbn46w2-XhdyhaiYqGqmmVfV?usp=sharing

Here are the front panels.

(I may do some work across all of the voxglitch modules to reduce the space taken up by the outputs on the bottom.)

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

AAA graphics

2 Likes

one question, just from seeing the UI,

do we need to dial in the percentage for each step on each channel then?
this seems to be a bit cumbersome,
could there be a way to randomize the percentage of all steps on a given channel
and set the percentage range (e.g. percentage between 10 - 20%) for this probability? Would be nice imho.

btw. do you know the OrangeLine Swing module? it is monophonic, I know.

1 Like

Certainly, I could add that. :slight_smile: I could also add some select-able “preset” randomization patterns that should work well with most drum beats. It’s true that dialing in the percentages is a bit tedious.

2 Likes