video centered plugins

howdy, some friends and i were curious about the general logistics of developing generative video based plugins for vcv, was just wondering if anyone else had tried such a thing before? found that often times platforms optimized for audio signal processing can be a bit futzy when you try to cram video in there. we’ve got medium c++ and glsl experience from developing other video synthesis based softwares. never did any direct audio plugin work before.

i can’t necessarily speak to the viability of larger scale video/gfx generation, but it’s certainly possible to draw pretty much whatever you want with enough work. for my module ‘turnt’, a fellow dev helped me out and created a custom ‘scope’ widget that i could draw on my module to display the input signal(s), just like any other regular ‘scope’ module does. and there are a number of other modules out there from other devs that focus more directly on more ‘generative’ visualizations and all that. so it’s definitely possible to get pretty creative in that way, but again i can’t really speak to the larger question of overall bigger-scale viability and stuff since i haven’t really done much of it myself.

1 Like

You may want to get in touch with “j4s0n”

I’m one of the testers of a pre-release of their video fx modules for VCV.

4 Likes

No idea about coding, but this is a port of milkdrop, very visual, runs very smooth.

2 Likes