=== very cool patch challenge edition 27 ===

Thanks Norbert. All these guys are/were my heroes. I really began being interested in music with the Headhunters and Weather Report, among others! It’s not a joke! :smiley:

1 Like

I am very glad, that my musical ear didn’t betray me. You honor them very much! :metal::sunglasses:

1 Like

Hang on, I’ve completely forgotten what it sounded like. Let me just check… …Nah, no horror in this one, just a somewhat samey sounding patch.

I know, but musical boxes somehow give me the creeps…

1 Like

Oh, okay. Well, it’s more a sort of box of random niceness. I really need one of these vcps to be a more screechy patch sometime.

1 Like

To those who I still haven’t replied…

@existentia superb soundscape. It gives me the feeling of a long trip throughout the outer space. Some trebble sounds remind me some sound design in the Hancock’s “future2future” album. Very nice!

@rsmus7 chiiillll! That grooves! I couldn’t dive in your patch, because it’s to heavy for my PC, so I don’t really understand how you did it. Anyway, I like your piece very much.

@cyball Good stuff for a quite little patch. I like your modules setup. Be careful with plateau though… My mojo for this module is “less is more”
@veryfungi Nice lines. Maybe could you answer to this question: is the top input of fourseq a reset command? And is the replace input of Evolution made to receive a trigger? Not sure! Personally, I would have added some filter and more modulation to the guitar. It’s a really good beginning for something bigger!

@AdiQ wow man! That’s incredible. So many things are happening here. You’re a real wizard! The temptation to purchase the ML packages becomes higher and higher! What is the top left module beside the LFOmultiphase?
It’s a masterpiece. I had the same feeling as you regarding Evolution. Bravo Adi.

@the1andonlydrno Great Norbert. Quite impressive. I just find it a bit unfortunate that we here the limiter affecting the whole thing a bit to much for my taste (when you push the drum part high on the mixer) . But maybe it was intentional…? It sounds as if we were messing in several dreams at the same time. Very strange feeling. I love all those lines crossing each other.

I was really excited to listen to all these pieces and I think that I’ve learn some good stuff. Thank you all and thanks again @ablaut Ben for hosting!
See you next time! :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanks you guys! And @denis.tercier that module top left is one of @SkwareUawe 's “chip-tuner” blanks, they are really cool and fun, check em out for sure for filling rack spaces so you don’t get electrocuted(stole that joke from Omri Cohen)

1 Like

:joy:. Actually I was asking about the modules between the blank and LFO…

:blush: my mistake @denis.tercier , maybe you mean the Ohmer clock dividers? If you switch to “view jumpers” in the context menu it turns dark, otherwise its white and colored like the 4ms rotating clock divider in the hardware world. And my apologies if i’m overexplaining the wrong one once again, its been a long brain-frying day :smile:

1 Like

Yes, the top input is reset. I recorded it using fourseq, but had trouble getting things in sync when opening the file, so I took it out and put the sequence into one of the SEQ Triad 2 sequencers on the uploaded vcv file.The replace input requires longer than a trigger to recognize it. I used a Bogaudio D-Gate to lengthen the pulse.

I find filters the hardest to deal with in my modular antics. I will practice more. thanks

1 Like

Since they’re all in a playlist, I’ll write a summary as others have done.

@jedrzejewskimk - The way this piece changes over time held my interest, rather than requiring me to concentrate on it. That’s rare and enjoyable for me.

@Jamuud - “Cawsand Gamelan” is perhaps the most peaceful thing I’ve heard in a while, and I like the little details floating up above the chords. “Let There Be Marblators” reminds of something I’ve heard before, but I can’t for the life of me recall the title or who recorded it.

@dataphreak2 - That piece could easily be the soundtrack to a spy or private detective film.

@dag2099 - Very nice bit of minimalism there.

@rsmus7 - That song made my significant other come in the room and ask me to dance, so thanks for that.

@cyball - That’s a big sound, like either the sound of an expedition setting off to explore, or armies setting up for a battle.

@veryfungi - It’s wonderful how the changes to the plucked melody are so subtle, then everything seems to return to the first theme from time to time. Also nice contrast between all the instruments.

@AdiQ - The way that builds and shifts is just about breathtaking. There are constantly new elements to grab the attention.

@the1andonlydrno - full, lush tone.

@denis.tercier - You got “funky” taken care of.

@jedrzejewskimk this patch is great, I like the slow evolution of it and everything fits pretty nicely

@Jamuud the Cawsand Gamelan No.1 is a wonderfull relaxing piece very well done
Let there be marblators is so smooth and soothing, :+1:

@dataphreak2 a real soundtrack imho can also support movies playing in my head
just one question, would it be possible that you provide the samples you used? that
would be very helpfull when loading your patch for learning something from it

@dag2099 a seemingly simple melodic movement, but very smart execution to keep it interesting and
enjoyable

@existentia such subtile and interesting dark yet light drones, great!

@cyball a nice composition of the different voices and well arranged

@veryfungi a great athmosphere you create with this patch, I like the slow evolution

@AdiQ this reminds my of tangerine and schulze and …, great synthesized !!!

@the1andonlydrno if it was a bit faster I’d say a wall of sound :wink: a real great wall, maybe the mixing could be a bit different to bring out the melody a bit more in some parts, beside his it is wonderfull

@denis.tercier this makes my head shake and my body dance - so cool - just the ending is a bit suddenly imho , could have listened to it some more

just one wish I have: if someone uses samples in the patches it would be great if you could provide them or a link to them with the patches, that would be cool imho

Thank you very much. Yeap It could have a better end and be a bit longer. Feel free to play with.

I agree with you regarding sample sharing. I did it with PigALE. I don’t know if someone ever used them, but it’s logical to share the samples with the patch. Cheers.

@AdiQ

like how that track keeps evolving too.

Well, the challenge was Evolution. :rofl: I’m actually adjusting things behind the scenes in order to create the drifting timbre. Video was made with Resolume. I really liked your track. It was my favorite. I listened to it twice. Very calming. The way the various arpeggios rolled off each other combined with long epic synths gives a feeling of sitting on a train without a destination.

@the1andonlydrno

I like to see the modules producing the music.

I wish I had a computer powerful enough to run VCVRack and OBS at the same time. Sadly, I have a potato. What I normally do is take a 30 second video from Vcv rack when I start recording, then close OBS and finish the session. Afterwards, I cut the recording back into the video. I’m working on a new recording setup where I can point a camera across my workstation, but it will be a little harder to make out the screen.

@rsmus7 Drums are from a random sample pack off of /r/liquiddnbproduction. I’m not sure which one I was using at the time. The nice thing about player, is after you load a sample, you can thumb through the entire directory with the +/- buttons at the top. The order from left to right was kick/snare/hat.

@cyball Really cool. Straight out of the 80’s

@denis.tercier Really liked your video. Like a funky slap bass.

Thanks. Tweaking those knobs, gives some surprises! It was really a happy accident.

Another Evolution piece. WAY too late for the deadline as usual…

added to the playlist

1 Like

Thanks @AdiQ :grinning:

1 Like

Hi friends, here’s my very belated entry for VCP-27.
i think i managed to coax some neat progressions/melodies and cadences from Evolution and Southpole Euclidian Sequencer. dig it…eVolution07_c

2 Likes

here: :wink:

3 Likes