=== very cool patch challenge edition 27 ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase a particular module in a creative way, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

this time the featured module is:

ml modules evolution

== rules ==
• make a patch in vcv rack using the chosen module and upload your patch to https://patchstorage.com/ and/or in your reply to this thread
• tag your upload with vcp-27
• you are encouraged to only use free modules in the patch, but this is not required
• make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube
• add a link to your video as a comment to this post (these videos will be collected in a playlist)
• give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, march 25th
(though late entries will still be added to the playlist)

a new challenge with a different module will be announced every other tuesday.

1 Like

Cool. Another one I don’t know anything about…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Some sort of Turing Maschine… I think??

1 Like

Hi Rackerz. Today I present my first entry to VCP-27. This time the VCP was devoted to ML Modules Evolution. I have to admit that I managed to avoid this module somehow before. The undoubted advantage of VCP is that each time I learn from the basics modules that I have not used before in my patches. Thanks, Ben.

Patchstorage:

and directly from my computer :slight_smile:
VCP-27 Evolution.vcv (72.9 KB)

VCP-27 Evolution all free modules version.vcv (72.7 KB)

9 Likes

This is my first VCP entry of any kind.

Cawsand Gamelan No.1 uses 3 Evolution models. The first Evolution is driven by 2 Turing machines into the EVN3. The second is driven by Ions into two Chebyshevs. 8FO is modulating the harmonics of the Chebyshevs and a lot of other things besides. The final Evolution is being driven by the volts section of the 2 Turing Machines and provides the unison bass parts by the Palm Loop.

Please forgive the brutalist video editing - learning VCV Rack, video recording software and video editing software at once is taxing. Things will improve.

Patchstorage Cawsand Gamelan No.1 | Patchstorage

## Cawsand Gamelan No 1.vcv (68.5 KB)

I agree with Mateusz. It is a great way to get to know modules I have not tried before. Thanks to the Klirr Factor for the video tutorial on Evolution. it was a great help.

Jamuud

5 Likes

Very nice. I really like the way it evolves over time. This is something I need to take note of. I haven’t done any truly live mixing since the days of pre-vst Cubase.

That is one of the great things about VCP and VCV Rack - it is really good to learn from your peers. Thank you.

3 Likes

Ho boy! This was a fun patch. I only used one Evolution but it’s super neat. Here we have Marbles and Erwin selecting the root note of the melody. That root goes into Harmony then into a sequential switch. The output of the sequential switch is triggered by x1 and x3 of marbles to create an arpeggiator. Those same triggers from marbles also fire two sample and holds, causing each to almost always hold a different note. That goes into the A/B inputs of Evolution.

Replace and parent are toggled by my new friend Grey Code. We send both outputs to a But precision adder from Southpole because Steevio is the man.

Rest of the patch is pretty straight forward. These are my synth voices. Bass line on the left, Elements on the right.

These are the drums and the mixer.

This is the rhythm section. I use this mixer next to the gate seq for blocking triggers. It’s easy to just grab an output from Gray Code into the mute CV and I instantly get some funky cut up beats. VC4 has less CPU overhead than MUTE8. Also, xfx pictured here. This is the filter I’ve put on the drums.

And that’s about that. Had a lot of fun with this one. Enjoy the ride.

9IronFinal.vcv (95.3 KB)

7 Likes

I decided to actually think a bit about this week’s entry before I submitted it. Evolution is used to sample the pitches of two sequences from SEQ-3 while another takes the end result and uses it to modulate the original sequences. Or something.

Here is the patch:
https://patchstorage.com/so-i-was-wondering-what-to-do-and/

Lots of good stuff this week. I guess one decision people have to make is the extent to which their entry is defined by the module they have to use. I’ve chosen to make an entry predicated on the module rather than fitting it into an already existing patch.

5 Likes

I thought I would have a second go at VCP27. This is based on a pentatonic scale using three Evolution modules.

patchstorage: https://patchstorage.com/let-there-be-mablators/

7 Likes

Patch stored at: https://patchstorage.com/disused-world/

Two Evolutions quantized to a whole-tone scale, randomly sampled-and-held, and sent to Players. The second output channels of the Players feed two Clouds, and everything gets convolved with an IR from a big old church.

5 Likes

I haven’t submitted an entry in a while. Sometimes I have trouble making the module of choice do what I want. I’m very happy I tried this Evolution module! I have figured out how to make a very structured lead with just the right amount of random. Very interesting module. It’s become one of my favorite modules.

2 Likes

here is my entry:

I made two loops in the rcm piano roll and routed them to Evolution modules, from there come some modulations, for the beat I used one loop from looperman and send it to the meta modulator mixed with a sine-wave. everything beside this in the patch is randomly controlled. :wink: A big thank you to Ben for hosting this contest and Andrew for the wonderfull VCVrack.

the patch: VCP-27_rsmus7_Evolution-Dub.vcv (110.3 KB)

6 Likes

This is my entry in vcp-27. Everything is randomly controlled except which voices play together at any one time. I have used Evolution in other patches and like it.
Video:

Patch: https://patchstorage.com/vcp-27-evolution-2/

Thanks for the contest and thanks a lot for VCV Rack.
Cy Ball

PS: Everyone’s submissions are fabuous!

4 Likes

What a great piece!

:joy: thank you

Groovy man! :slight_smile:

:blush: thank you

Here is my entry to #VCP-27. I add the patch here. I set out to use the module to create an eight note melody which is held in place at the very beginning. Then I allow it to alter one or two random notes in the sequence. All random but at the same time very structured! As usual feedback is encouraged. I want to improve.

Edit: when you load this patch the guitar will start by playing 8 C notes, and then start replacing notes randomly. After a short time it will sound awesome.

evolution-04.vcv (70.8 KB)

8 Likes

Nice patch Cy!

1 Like

Gorgeous patch Mateusz, sounds amazing!

I too must admit, that this module is one of those that I took a quick look at early on and then quickly dismissed because I couldn’t figure out what it did, and then I forgot all about it. Ach ach… will definately need to return to it again.

2 Likes

Very nice patch and a very pleasant tune, well done! Nothing brutal about the video that I could see.

1 Like