Venom 2.6 Beta - looking for testers and feedback

Excellent! Some call the Blippoo Box a “patch in a box”, so all you need now is a box :smile: well done Dave!

I have been planning to record a demo version with my version -which does not differ much from yours now, especially since we are using the same modules. I always get drawn into just playing it and get distracted lol so the videos get too long. I gave up recording a demo and just play it nowadays.

Thanks for the updated ASR / S&H!

1 Like

Keeping the Krells happy Dave :slight_smile: Fun and interesting patch…

1 Like

For this demo I use both sample & hold and shift register functionality of the Poly S&H ASR. This video also demonstrates the profound difference the oversampling can make when triggering the S&H at audio rates. This video also demonstrates a cool technique where detuned polyphonic unison voices generate bell or plucked string like tones each time the detuned voices are synced.

Oversampled Venom Poly S&H ASR Demo.vcv (4.4 KB)

6 Likes

New Module: Widget Menu Extender

This module allows you to rename any foreign parameter control or port, as well as set a custom default for any foreign parameter. Nearly all Venom modules have these capabilities built in. This module brings that functionality to foreign modules. It works by extending the context menus of the foreign parameters and ports - there is no need to interact with the Widget Menu Extender itself, it just needs to be in the patch.

WidgetMenuExtender

Full documentation here

Stable binaries available here

I am excited about this module - I think it can be of great use to any VCV Rack user, regardless what type of patching they do.

It can be a great help when working with a large patch, helping you keep track of the patch specific purpose of controls and ports. It is also a simple way to document a patch that is shared with others.

Or for performance, you can set a custom default for an important control, tweak the value to add variation, but then instantly and reliably get back to your custom default at will.

I would like to add the parameter lock feature, but there are technical issues that prevent that feature from working properly on foreign parameters configured as switches.

I hope some people try this module out and report back if there are any issues. But it is working really well for me so far. I have even tested VCV Pro with multiple VCV plugins running within a DAW.

Barring any reports of critical bugs, I plan on submitting Venom v2.6 to the library by the end of the week.

This module has been a dream of mine for a long time. I could not have created this module without the information shared in the following thread:

4 Likes

neat! Will be useful for sure

1 Like

Very much looking forward to this update!

1 Like

Super intriguing performance workflow hack to set custom defaults. Excited to try it.

1 Like

Is this still the case? If I want to take a peek - is this on the Dev branch?

Yes, and yes

1 Like

Much respect for these modules! Some of them are really “pushing the envelope” in terms of polyphony and anti aliasing. That alone makes them super unique!

btw, I’m not a fan of pushbutton that you have to push multiple times to cycle through the options. I know it’s “more modular like”, but to me it’s a second rate UX. Most of these things you have to push the buttons a bunch times to see what the choices are. I don’t think any desktop or web software does this. Mind you, I’ve done it myself sometimes!

On modules I’m working on, option sets (modes) are on a knob backed by a switch param. This means the right click on the knob gives a menu with direct access to the options. People who like to knob twiddle can spend their time passing through the modes, and others who are happy to not be stuck in a skeumorphic paradigm can go faster (:-)).

Thanks! I do try to make sure each module brings something (or many things) unique to the table.

That is what the right click (command click) button context menu is for - it lets you see all the options at once and select the one you want immediately. If the buttons did not have the context menu, then I too would not be a fan.

Doh! Right you are. I take it back!

3 Likes

v2.6 has been submitted to the library!

7 Likes