vcvrack.com not updated to 2.0.5, app prompts to “update” from 2.0.5 to 2.0.4

Hello,

As of this post, vcvrack.com/rack has not been updated and the latest version on the site is still 2.0.4. Because of this, when I launch VCV Rack 2.0.5, it prompts me to “update” from 2.0.5 to 2.0.4.

It’s only a minor issue, but please keep the website up-to-date.

Hi and welcome to the forums. This is a change in process, not an issue. Starting with 2.0.4, new releases will be posted in “Preview” mode, where they are available for download, but are not officially posted, and a few days later, if no emergencies are flagged, will be fully updated. You can read about the reasoning for that in Andrew’s Post.

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation! I did miss Andrew’s post, and now I can understand his reasoning.

That said, I think it’s suboptimal for the program to prompt the user to update from a newer version to a previous one (2.0.5 to 2.0.4 in my case). Perhaps the program could check for updates against the changelog at Rack/CHANGELOG.md at v2 · VCVRack/Rack · GitHub instead of the public release at VCV Rack 2 - Virtual Eurorack Studio?

VCV only checks if version is different, not if it is newer or older. Has been that way forever. If you install stuff not officially marked as released (such as is case of preview of 2.0.5) then live with the red dot… Not the end of the world, and set auto update to false in settings.json if it bothers you, then it only checks if you select either the library menu or click to check for Rack updates. Sanity saved… It has happened that an update had to be rolled back due to some big bad bug, so that would be only time it would suggest downgrade for library updated or VCV Rack updated things.

1 Like