VCV Unity lurking ... Solved - Partially

I seem to have discovered VCV Unity (which I now see is a ‘hidden’ module).

It ‘appeared’ as a blank area in the module selection dialogue window. I had these blank areas and thought maybe the screen was not refreshing, so I clicked to see what was there. Now I have it as a semi visible module, but it’s taken away what used to be there (MixMaster and the Audio module - they’ve all gone). The whole of the blank area to the right of the translucent module identifies as Unity when I right click - see image.

I can clear it out and start with a clean patch so no lasting damage.

I’m curious if anyone else has seen this strange behaviour, and if it indicates something that needs attention?

Edit: Following a little more investigation, I see the blank areas are still there. The first (the whole blank row) identifies as VCA-2, another hidden module, and the lower one as Unity.

Is this a bug others have experienced?

Further Edit: It only happens with the Stoermelder MB module that I use for an easier interface for modules. They’re not in the regular windows.

No

As you’re using dark panels, I suspect unity hasn’t had a dark panel update.

Just checked and that is the case.

1 Like

indeed

afbeelding

2 Likes

So a short term “fix” would be for a user to make a copy of Unity.svg and call it Unity-dark.svg. A true fix would be for VCV to either do that, or make an actual dark panel.

Correct?

2 Likes

It boggles me. Dark panels for the premium modules we actually PAY MONEY FOR have been ready for ages, but still not released yet, so I still have to have VCV Host, which I use in almost every patch, off screen because it hurts my eyes.

3 Likes

These two modules are deprecated and that’s why they’re hiddden in the manifest. They should not turn up in the module browser unless you’ve edited the manifest. They are only still in the plugin for backward compatibility with old patches that might use these two modules.

OK. Just to remove the accusatorial, I think you mean, “… unless the manifest has changed.” :wink:

If it has changed, I’m unaware of the process for doing so. Therefore, are you able to let me know how I could get the manifest back to its original?

The json file in the plugin folder of Fundamental has two entries like this :

"hidden": true

If you replace this by f.i.

"hidden": false

Or remove the text altogether the plugin should be available in the Module Browser.

But you did not change anything, you just use the Stoermelder browser, this one does not use the “hidden”: true part of the json file it has its own hide/view system.

So in order to “fix” your problem is :

And do the same with VCA.svg.

1 Like

Aha, yes indeedy. Thought the problems still existed after that until I saw there was an extra space in my VCV-dark.svg and Unity-dark.svg versions.

And, by removing the ‘hidden’ I can see them in both modes, with and without Stoermelder’s module.

Thanks all, I love getting a little into the guts of these things.

2 Likes

This will not work in the next update, so the best is probably not to use a hidden module. If it’s hidden, there’s likely a good reason for it, and most often it’s that the module is deprecated.

2 Likes

Good point. Good to see the bug is getting fixed.