VCV sketches of modern prog rock lead sounds.

Just made a patch using ‘Sync’ on 2 VCV VCOs and Squinky’s Saw and Functional VCO, I think I’m getting there. A nice prog Lead is the result IMO, its 10.30 mins long though, a bit obsessive even for prog! Got some delay from Lindbergh Research’s Sangster delay. Care to hear the result and see the patch? I put a request for info about the keyboard problem on here a while back, got a few decent answers, just not had the courage to try it again, Keyboard is Akai Laptop performance keyboard LPK25. It wasn’t expensive but I should give it another go!

I agree about giving it another go. These sorts of patches really benefit from live play. I’d seriously consider looking for a Roland A300Pro on the used market. These are good solid boards that behave nicely. (They work well on Linux, and I really don’t expect they’d cause pain on Macs or Windows boxes.)

I use APros, Edirol PCRs, and various Korg gear, but by no means am I a paid endorser. This advice is not bribed.

Funny thing is that Squinky/Functional VCO is described as deprecated, but I find it handles some situations with sync better than any of the alternatives I’ve encountered.

Interesting. The deal is that Functional VCO is a “clone” of the Fundamental VCO-1 from VCV 0.6, mostly to make it more efficient, although the response/grunge in the top octave is slightly different.

When VCV 1.0 came out, the Fundamental was totally re-written, and has always been more efficient, so it seemed there was no need for Functional. But maybe it’s the only 16x oversampling VCO left, so it probably does sound different from the others.

I think the difference in high register “grunge” is what steers me towards it. That sort of thing matters if you’re playing high notes in a lead.

1 Like

Thank you , so if It happen when the Sync input cross zero Is Like a very fast end of cycle no matter what shape the wave Is

Yes.

1 Like

Here’s a quick lab exercise to show the zero crossing behavior of the sync function. I hope the roles of various modules are clear.

sync-lab.vcv (5.7 KB)

1 Like

Oh thank you!! the explanation of squinky.labs plus this patch make sync more clear.

I had this on patchstorage a while ago (uploaded under my immortaljellyfish account name, which is now gone from that site). So, here it is again. Bit loud so turn it down before going nuts. You will need Alright Device’s Chronoblob2 plugin for this to work. Enjoy.

MIDI Synchrotron.vcv (8.0 KB)

Another epic addition to my Prog induced insomnia! Thanks for that, I’ll get my keyboard out and cause utter devastation! Does it come with knives in the Hammond organ intensity! Mr Chrtlnghmstr not only strikes timpani he messes up keyboard players carpal tunnel syndrome as well! LOL. Good on you sir!! Any other instruments patches I’ve missed I wonder from your collection!?

1 Like

Funny thing: despite not being a video game player, I’ve wound up with several Wii Nunchuks in my junk box. I may hook one of those to an Arduino and see if I can turn the joystick into a four way pitch/mod control for playing these sorts of patches. I already have a Spaceball and software that translates the force/torque to MIDI CCs, but I suspect it will not work very well for precision pitch bends.

By the bye: I’d say that even though there seems to be some overlap between VultCompacts and VultModules, I’d purchase the paid version of VultModules as well if I were you. There are enough differences to warrant the small additional expense. In terms of classic subtractive design, one can never have enough good filter types. I bought a license to Oxidlab’s stuff as well.

Hello again, there are XY type pad controllers in VCV Rack, I have you not tried them with your Prog lead. I tried JW Modules Lfo version but there are others. Would that work as a joystick substitute?

Wonder if you can still get these cheap?

I tend to think trying to do this sort of thing with a mouse isn’t going to result in good musical control. Nailing partial bends with wheel or stick is hard enough.

If I just had the stick/pots part of that, I could use an Arduino to read in a fairly smooth ten bit value on both axes. So far, I’ve looked at Korg replacement sticks, but they seem to be a bit pricey for this sort of hack. I wonder who the OEM for the joystick was/is.

well, this is from around 1980, so whoever made the joystick probably isn’t making them any more. Digikey seems to have a bunch, although their web site isn’t easy to figure out…

I well remember. I had the little flippy demo disc for the Octave Cat that came in Contemporary Keyboards magazine. I figured some manufacturers have fairly long running product lines even if the buyers and applications change.

The cheapest thing in the ballpark seems to be the Adafruit 10k two axis stick with spring return. Plenty of $200+ sticks. (ouch!)

There was a nice one on digikey for like $28.