VCV Rack VST plugin Multiple Midi Outputs

I use Marbles a lot. In VST plugin mode, will VCV Rack allow me to route its seperate CV/Gates to seperate outputs? e.g. at the moment, I output them via midi to my DAW as seperate midi channels. WIll there be any way to do this in the VST version of VCV Rack? FYI if it helps answer the question, I’m using Ableton. Thanks

VCV does not support using Rack with a DAW. Support will be added with Rack for DAWs. https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ#is-vcv-rack-available-as-a-vst-au-aax-plugin-for-daws

1 Like

Not sure if Andrew understood your question.

As a plugin a VST should be able to send out midi over 16 channels, But i don’t know if this is planned/supported in the upcoming VST version of VCV.

2 Likes

You’re correct, I misunderstood the question.

VCV Rack for DAWs will include 2/2, 8/8, and 16/16 audio input/output variants (to match the different VCV Audio modules) as well as instrument/effect variants. See Ableton’s documentation for handling plugins with multiple outputs.

If you want to have multiple MIDI inputs/outputs, you can use the 16 channels offered by the MIDI protocol itself. Using VCV CV-MIDI or the other MIDI modules, you can choose a MIDI channel on each module and then filter by channels using up to 16 Ableton Live channels.

1 Like

Sounds great, thanks. Looking forward to it.

Hi, I can’t make it work fine ! I can’t Receive different midi channels From VCV Rack 2 to Ableton. I send a Screenshot to illustrate my problem, Thanks ! Seb

1 Like

Hi, Adam,

Did you find an answer to your issue ?

Thanx, Seb

Unfortunately it’s a known issue with Ableton that Ableton takes any MIDI output by any plugin that outputs MIDI (not just VCV Rack) and transfers every MIDI event on every channel to a event on MIDI Channel 1. I am amazed Live still has the following it has with this massive shortcoming, but there you are. Much as I like Live it’s the main reason I don’t use it as much as Reaper.

The only workarounds I’ve found involve using modules that have their own way of transmitting MIDI from one to another like Blue Cat Audio Connector. For a free alternative others have suggested using loopmidi https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

that only works with Windows, but I imagine there is similar software for other OSs.

1 Like

Yes, this is a Ableton shortcoming which has around for a long time and raised by tons of people, but it is still not fixed. Bitwig and other daws don’t have this issue.

Did you link the manual? :slight_smile: If it doesn’t support it, why can I choose a channel? In a different way. Why does the software offer an option that does not exist?

This is an issue with Ableton not VCV. Midi spec includes 16 channels. Ableton doesn’t support multiple channels from VSTs only external hardware.

VCV works fine in other DAWs like Bitwig which support midi channels correctly from VSTs.

Sorry to bump a different thread, just wondering if anyone knows if is fixed in Ableton 12, in their release notes there is a new CC controller so maybe they have also fixed this legacy issue with differentiating VST CC output?

Not that I have heard. I haven’t upgraded from 11 and won’t until they fix it. A lot of the big new features that are in v12 are around offering the sort of generative and scale quantisation features I already have in a bunch of MIDI effects plugins so there wasn’t much of an incentive for me to spend a hell of a lot of money for the update.

2 Likes

Same! Kind of disheartening really. Do you know of any work arounds other than using the Little Utils Teleport modules? I dont really want 16 instances of vcv rack open :sweat_smile:

EDIT: just realised the answer is in this thread, loopMidi. Will have a look for an OSX alternative

EDIT: OSX already has the solution: “Audio MIDI Setup > Midi Studio > IAC Driver > Device is online”

You can then hook up the MIDI signals to all the channels you like

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t know how stable the mac solution is but loopmidi isn’t anywhere near as easy to use or stable as just having the source MIDI channels available inside a DAW. I set up templates for 16 midi channels in Reaper from VCV Rack and I’m good to go.

1 Like