VCV Rack ruins my laptop speakers

My speakers are usually just fine. Playing Spotify or Youtube causes no issues. When I open VCV Rack, my right speaker starts outputting static white noise instead of the actual audio. If I close VCV Rack, audio continues to output white noise with Spotify, Youtube, or anything that should play normally. The only way to fix it is by shutting down, waiting a few seconds, then turning it back on. My drivers are all up to date, and I haven’t been able to find anything online.

The title of this post reminds me of the time when I was a teenager and my dad told me that I couldn’t play punk on his system as it would damage his record needle.

I’ll get my coat :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I don’t know - could be anything.

see VCV - Support to contact VCV for help.

Or maybe if you give us more info, we have a chance to help ?

• OS, rack version, soundcard make and model + sw release version.
  • screenshots of your Audio module in rack.
  • screenshots of any relevant audio interface settings.
  • log.txt from the rack user folder.

Maybe a samplerate mismatch issue - once upon a time, some interfaces gave problems, that could be fixed changing the default template settings for sample rate. That hasn’t been nescessary for some time AFAIK.

2 Likes

No joke I think vcv frequencies has ruined my MacBook Pro right speaker. Crackles and bad driven sounds come out past like a third of max volume. Oh well.

1 Like

Those online audio services seriously compress and limit all their audio.

No comparison to raw audio production of any kind (Rack or not). The only compression or limiting in Rack is when you add a limiter or compressor to your audio output chain.

1 Like

If you hear staticky, “crunchy” or robotic sounding audio, it’s highly likely to be a sample rate/format mismatch. Make sure your OS audio settings and Rack settings are both set to the same sample rate/format, and it’s an output mode that your device supports.

1 Like

“software x destroyed my hardware”. Heard that one a lot over the last few decades :wink:

1 Like