VCV Rack on iOS/Android devices?

There may come a time in 2-3 years where IOS and OS X are one and the same. I guess it will depend on whether Apple shift to ARM.

1 Like

Been trying out miRack for three hours and itā€˜s definitely nice to use an already known ui. Not nearly as much modules as in the desktop app, but itā€˜s nice to have a very portable rack.

1 Like

I suspect this is the purpose of iPadOS. Personally it wouldnā€™t take much for me to ditch the desktop/laptop altogether and go 100% ipad. Itā€™s getting closer. Iā€™m one good DAW away from it happening. The apps and workflow on iOS are really something now. And unlike normal computers it has the feel of a self contained instrument.

Happy to see miRack actually happen. A portable soft modular with a built-in touch interface is very much appreciated.

1 Like

Time to ask before investing: How legal is mir rack?

Question for @Vortico, @Squinky, @marc_boule, and other concerned 3rd party devs

Now I know that miRack is based on 0.6 and all modules in miRack are opensource, but does it extend to graphic elements, your logos, the use of your brand name, the actual befaco logo, ā€¦

I donā€™t really know how I feel about someone whoā€™s asking 9 euro for a buggy software that doesnt have any audiobus/interapp compatibility, nor how to feel about someone whoā€™s making money on incredibly great free content, but I know how I feel about someone who would not respect IP.

Talking about a free and legal port of mutable instrument on ios:

2 Likes

Fortunately for me, heā€™s not violating any of my work. But heā€™s using unauthorized works from Grayscale (avoiding the commercial royalty of Component Library graphics), Synthesis Technology, and possibly others.
Itā€™s really simple: ask for permission if you want to use intellectual property. I donā€™t understand why people find this difficult.

5 Likes

Because people are bad?

2 Likes

I think they are just lazyā€¦ When i made my album using NASA Samples, i spent two days reading Copyright laws from both Us federal law and European law before being sure i was able to use the samples. Also, even though i made the artwork myself based on a photo of my neighbors cat, i still asked them if it was okay to use an edited image of their cat for commercial purposes.
Same goes with asking permission, it takes time, and nowadays people are lazy and donā€™t bother asking such thingsā€¦
I think thatā€™s why stuff like that happens. I have some friends who make free beats for Rap. Nowadays, people donā€™t even ask for the stems anymore, they just rip the audio from Youtube.
In that case, itā€™s okay cause itā€™s free content, but what is sad is that these people will get a sh** quality audio instead of a good one, all they had to do was sending an email to get the stems :upside_down_face:

ps : if you read all, have a virtual cookie :wink: :cookie:

3 Likes

What plugins are in miRack? Anyone able to make list?

I donā€™t own an iPad, but this is something that has always left me scratching my head: People bitch and moan about the poor performance of their desktops with Rack (and other processor-intensive software). How is it that a little 1/4" thick thing running on a little battery can outperform a big desktop with a hefty power supply, and a massive CPU and GPU? I donā€™t get it. How can an iPad possibly outperform a modern desktop???

2 Likes

I donā€™t have a ā€œdesktopā€ to compare, but compared to my laptop the iPad has a much better GPU - if I use my laptopā€™s intel GPU I have issues, if I use my radeon eGPU I have a very nice experience. also, iOS manages multitasking differently.

also, having direct control over all possible hardware combinations makes driver optimization and maintenance easier, which leads to the ability to have high performing APIs like Metal compared to abstraction layers across multiple operating systems.

1 Like

Easily. 1 2 3

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

Apple just want control full stack, and not to depend on third party chip makers.

This is from 2007 iPhone presentation Steve Jobs quotes Alan Kay on "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware,

1 Like

Most people who have problems with Rack donā€™t have modern desktops. They either have a modern laptop with terrible thermal characteristics, or they have something with a horrendous GPU.

4 Likes

That doesnā€™t explain how the power of an iPad can rival or exceed that of a desktop computer.

You mean like a new Macbook Pro?

A tablet should have terrible thermal characteristics, too.

not when the processor is designed for low heat and power and scaled up, as opposed to being designed for high heat and power and scaled down.

as @diimdeep noted, full control means a lot.

2 Likes

Just anecdotally my brand new macbook pro turns the fans on full and threatens to fly away if I do anything serious with it. Neither of my iPads seem to have any thermal issues.

I think the arm cpu has much better mips/watt that Intel, doesnā€™t it?

In my case (and others that use the BSD 3-Clause lincese), it seems ok, as long as they make sure the 2nd point in the license, in particular, is respected :

1. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Since I will not be purchasing the iPad Rack app, I canā€™t check for this, but if someone has it, Iā€™d be curious to knowā€¦

@VCVRackIdeas: do you know the answer to the licensing question?

Everyoneā€™s copyright notice is listed in an acknowledgments section of the app.

Frankly it takes way more than twice as long to patch anything than on the desktop.
Itā€™s okay, I guess, but I think itā€™s more of a novelty at this point. A tablet screen is just too small IMO.

2 Likes

2 Likes