VCV Rack 2 teaser

xmas comes early this year :ok_hand: :santa: :gift: :joy: :christmas_tree:

that is really good news :+1:

2 Likes

Eagerly anticipated! Will it include the VCV timeline/Piano Roll* at launch time ?

VCV Rack - Page 41 - Modular Synthesis Forum - KVR Audio

No, but later.

5 Likes

Enormously large thank you for all your hard work and dedication in the face of difficulties, from here Down Under!

Was not expeciing a new UI - it looks truly superb.

Thank you Andrew!

1 Like

:partying_face: Looks great!

Thanks Andrew for getting us all excited for November! Trailer looks awesome. LOVE the new cable ends. And the multiple module select/duplicate is highly appreciated!

Some of the API features look really nice, even just based on this migration text. This will certainly make development a bit easier for new comers, very nice!

Everyone in my modular group chat is talking about the UI updates and while the more skeuomorphic design is controversial, I think the general consensus is that the arrow-head patch cables are not well loved. I do see why theyā€™re being used - you can actually see stacked cables. Still, I donā€™t know that I love them or the ā€˜realā€™ looking LED in/on them. I would very much so appreciate the option to customize the look of the patch cables without rebuilding rack from source.

Iā€™m also curious if there have been improvements to the rendering such that module designers can use more complex SVG panels now without a massive performance hit as I suspect that many modules will need updates to their design language to not feel out of place next to the new designs

Finally, I feel like thereā€™s a tad bit of inconsistency in the skeuomorphism, in the video QNT and OCTā€™s ā€˜Screensā€™ feel disconnected from the other design language, I donā€™t know what would fix this? maybe the smallest amount of bloom or a fake gleen in the glass of the ā€œtouch screenā€

1 Like

https://vcvrack.com/Drums

Not sure what I think of them. At $30, Horaā€™s drums are both less expensive and seem to have deeper options to adjust the sound. I will concede that the large combined drum module with mixer is a clean way to drop everything in at once and that the master tune & accent controls are cool, but from trying to put Horaā€™s drums on a sub-mixer and then use a single channel of mindmeldā€™s mixer before, I fear it will run into the same problem with level issues (mixers into mixers arenā€™t as straight forward as they seem)

1 Like

Actually, in most modules a knob is implemented as an SVG-graphics that is rotated regarding to the value the knob is representing. In the teaser video for Rack 2, the knobs look like they are lightened from the top. So I donā€™t know how to implement this using a single SVG-graphics. Either the knobs are coded in C++ or the kobs are built using multiple SVG-graphics with semi-transparent grey layers between them (similar to the shadows used in Rack v1.6).

Personally, I donā€™t want to overhaul the GUI of my modules, but I think I ā€œhave toā€ for making them fit visually into Rack v2. I donā€™t want my modules looking ā€œoutdatedā€.

I suspect itā€™s the multiple SVG option - see Vultā€™s knobs.

could easily be misread as knobs

Thatā€™s close to my question. Will there be a porting guide. I have a number of no-longer-maintained things that just happen to compile. Also, I have my own utilities to port. Another concern is whether or not Slackwareā€™s more recent GCC (5.5.0) will built it. My local Rack has a few private hacks that Iā€™ll want to port over.

Looks like you just answered the question I just posted. Pardon me while I take my foot out of my mouth. Porting my Rack control via UNIX domain sockets will more than likely be a touch more painful. I had a hack for starting iconified (also iconify from software control) just to lighten system load a bit, but I think you had planned a headless mode that will make this completely unnecessary.

picard_clapping.gif

Looking good! (Sweet trailer too)

1 Like

I donā€™t forsee that being an issue, at least with the default patch cable colors. Though, if the wires are still changeable in color using Submarineā€™s WM-101 or just poking the config file I could see that being an issue on grayscale wires.

2 Likes

Great picture! It clearly shows the difference.

UI updates look excellent, looking very much forward to v2!

Wow Christmasā€™s will be in November this yearšŸ„³

4 posts were split to a new topic: mix and submix - about summing in mindmeld mixer