VCV on a Raspi and an ES-9 + Your Raspi VCV Experiences

I did some reading on VCV for iPad and saw it on on the Roadmap at all and probably will not be ever given the tech debt and business model issues it will create (VCV Manual - Frequently Asked Questions). So wondering if a Raspi could be a good mobile solution and not having to take my laptop to venues and what not because, no, just no.

1. Has anyone had any experience with running this sort of solution with an Expert Sleepers ES-9/ES-8 or other interfaces with eurorack/hardware gear live?

2. What are your experiences with running VCV on a Raspi. I see plenty of talk about running VCV on a Raspi but not much about the experience of having it there.

Or you know, I could just save the dev and CLI tears (Iā€™m a pixel-pusher by trade) and just buy a beater laptop and just have VCV on I and nothing else. (VCV Manual - Installing & Running - leaving this here for my reference later maybe & this to I guess - VCV Manual - Frequently Asked Questions)

1 Like

just a quick reply (as not much time right now): i think vcvrack on the rpi is definitely useable to some degree and i think it definitely has a lot of potential, but it is not at something like ā€œproduction qualityā€ yet right now ā€¦ it will still take a bit more time until i would really recommend it to use for real performances. i know of someone though who is using the sonaremin successfully in an art installation kind of context, but he also was doing well in adjusting some things to his needs.

iā€™m still actively working on the linux arm version of vcvrack and the sonaremin and will continue to do so, but its a spare time project, so progress might be slow. iā€™ll have to see what i need to do to maybe getting it work with vcvrack 2.0 when its source code is out, but also this will need some time.

so for now a beater laptop might be a better option in case you really want to performan with it ā€¦

best wishes and good luck - hexdump

What I wish is someone would really ā€œproductizeā€ the RPI ā€“ i.e. give you a Rasberry Pi in a box with a few knobs and mini-display, USB connectivity for MIDI and audio with a utility* that runs on Mac/PC/Linux thatā€™s able to transfer patches to the box.

People would pay for that, right?

• the workflow I imagine would be develop a patch on your usual desktop or laptop then run the utility that transfers it to a directory on the RPI over SFTP (for example). But have a front end to hack in the correct device names so the patch would just work once itā€™s loaded on the RPI.

Maybe have an endless encoder that lets you scroll on the mini-display through the downloaded patches.

You might be interested in the Monome Norns shield when they come back in stock? I know I amā€¦

I suppose it depends what you define as ā€œpatchesā€ that you want to transfer. I donā€™t think itā€™d run VCV patches directly, but there are a lot of cool Norns apps

There is sort of a ā€˜productized Piā€™, the Zynthian

you can buy kits or prebuilt