VCV Old Patches Via Patch Storage

Hello,

There’s a patch I have been attempting to recreate. I put in the values and tried a bunch of stuff to learn how to get the sound close to the original but i’m having massive trouble in that department.

When I was trying to study the file through Patch Storage - it won’t load up. My V is 1.1.6

I know this is very old patch so let me know if theres anything i can do to open it on my side

Link: La Forêt | Patchstorage

All credit to ISMS KL - very cool patch!

the patch is done in rack v0.4.0,
imho it will not be possible to recreate it in v1.1.6
you can only try to build it new in rack v1.1.6
or you need to find someone who has still the old file of rack and the old plugins to load the patch.

A quick glance at the VCV file shows that all (most, it was a quick glance) modules are available in the library for free. However, parameters and the storage format may have changed over the last four years. Manual reconstruction using the VCV source (open the vcv file in a text editor) and some experimentation may be quite feasible, although a lot of work.

it looks like its still possible to download all the older versions of vcvrack - for the mac for instance it would be https://vcvrack.com/downloads/Rack-0.4.0-mac.dmg … maybe give that a try?

good luck and best wishes - hexdump

1 Like

I love all his patches. I tried to do it. First, I copied and renamed the file, and then replaced the modules that had name changes or don’t exist anymore. Like Mental. However it doesn’t sound the same. The rings settings have always been tricky for me to dial in. Have a walk in La Foret. If you can make the rings sound like his, let me know please. forestv1.vcv (303.0 KB)

Also, I should mention, that I really don’t understand the settings of dTroy.

I had a go and got a bit further but the settings on various modules have a huge influence on the sound.

This might help - I stitched together 4 screen dumps go show the whole patch; I am assuming the yellow and blue cables that got off the right hand side are connected to the Debriatus, and the other pair of green+blue cables are going to the Audio-8 module for output.

2 Likes

There are 3 main concepts to get your head around (given you probably see it’s an 8 step sequencer)

• The knobs at the top determine the pitch of each step (same as on seq-3 for example)
  • The ‘pulse count’ sliders below determine how many times each step plays before it moves onto the next step
  • The gate mod sliders below those determine the kind of gate(s) that get output for each pulse, with four options which from the top are: 1 long gate, 3 short gates (like a ratchet), one short gate, or no gate at all (a rest).

Once you understand that it becomes quite easy to use.

4 Likes

This :point_up_2: And/or listen to demos/tutorials on YouTube of the Intellijel Metropolis, like the brilliant one from MylarMelodies.

3 Likes