VCV LFO - Clock?

Hi,

can someone explain to me the behaviour of Clock input on the VCV LFO? I would say it should ignore the freq knob and set the freq based on input clock?

But it seems that changing the freq, it changes as well.

Any clues/example that show the behaviour? Thanks

When you use the clock input the freq knob becomes a divider/multiplier.

afbeelding

5 Likes

What sort of signal is the CLK input intended to get? Clock pulses? A BPM CV from a clock? An arbitrary fixed voltage from, say, Count Modula’s MAN. CV module?

Clock pulses or phase, not bpm or a fixed voltage

The Clk input can take any type of oscillating signal that swings from 0V or below to 2V or above and the freq knob sets the ratio of the LFO output to the frequency of the incoming signal - this could be a clock signal, LFO signal, comparator output etc:

Here the Frequency knob is set to 1x and the sine wave output of the LFO is the same frequency as the clock:

Here I’ve set the Frequency knob to 0.5x and the sine wave output is now half the frequency of the clock:

Here I’ve set the Frequency knob to 2x and sine wave is now twice the frequency of the clock:

Here I’ve used another LFO instead of the clock and have set the Freq knob of the “clocked” LFO to 2x:

4 Likes

that’s pretty cool. afaik there aren’t that many clock multipliers out there.

1 Like

Nysthi Clock Mult Div, can do decimal clock div/mullts and is my go to if I need to mult a clock.

I like the Bogaudio RGate for clock multi/div uses.

1 Like

I rather use a div/mult from/inside the clock itself, because all these clock dividers/ multipliers need a few clicks from the clock to calculate the bpm, so they are always “late”. (and speed-up/slowdown at the start).

1 Like

With modular, everything tends to always be strictly on a clock’s grid (or it’s divisions) and this behaviour can be (ab)used! :wink:

1 Like

Shameless plug - my ancient “chopper” has a LFO with pretty unusual waveforms and a clock multiplier.

1 Like

ShapeMaster Pro:

• has lots of built in clock divisions and multiplications available for selection, including dotted and triplet timings.

• it calculates the bpm within the first 2-3 pulses of a 48 ppqn (or faster) clock the first time it runs and remembers that bpm the next time it runs, so it’s correct from the start and doesn’t skip triggers, run late, or speed up/down in any perceptible way.

• if the built in multiplications are not sufficient, you can design your own multiplications by drawing in however many trigger pulses you want, on whatever cycle length you select. Need 9 pulses every 5/8 or something crazy like that? ShapeMaster can do it.

10 Likes