VCV Host updates

VCV Host updated to 0.6.3 with the following changelog.

• Fall back to storing parameter values when the plugin doesn’t support effGetChunk.
  • Save and restore the VST program number
  • Loading and unloading VST plugins no longer blocks the Rack engine, avoiding pops and stutters
14 Likes

Updated Host with changelog at https://vcvrack.com/Host.html#changelog

4 Likes

nice!
just tested host-fx with a vocoder plug-in, works great now!

hopefully in some other update we can get assignable note values to the input matrix of host.
thanks!

Really useful update. Thanks!

I noticed something a few days ago while attempting to sync vst instruments with rack sequencers, is that Host added latency seems to be twice the block size, meaning that if I set the block size to let’s say 256 samples, I need add a a 512 samples delay to VCV sequencers. Is that correct ?

Yes, that’s correct. It’s the price we pay for running the VST on a different core from Rack itself.

2 Likes

This is really nice!
Is it possible that there will be an automatic compensation for the latency in the future?

@23volts how do you add a delay in samples? I only know about BaconMusic sample delay and have tried it to change the sound of feedback loops - but it only goes to 100 samples (which might be enough for me, but I’m still curious if there is another way)

I’m not sure how automatic latency compensation could work.

I’m not a programmer so I can only make assumptions… but if the VSTs are on a separate thread, maybe the other threads could be delayed automatically? But of course this would not work for effects, only for VSTi… I don’t know… but it would be nice, eh? :slight_smile: Maybe some open source DAW developers might know something… but in a modular… possibly not probable i guess…

I use several sample delay in serial if I want sample accurate compensation or just calculate the delay in ms and use AS signal delay.

Maybe a small compensation plugin would be cool… just a few ins and outs and being able to delay them all, choosing the delays accordig to block sizes in a right-click menu.
Or a feature of delaying individual channels in a mixer, maybe a good feature for VCV Console.