VCV Host MIDI mapping

Aware of that, if that’s the only way, seems it is, it would be nice if VCV Host had a MIDI device option to route MIDI into it from wherever, like in a real DAW, select mapping mode in softsynth, select a virtual control, move a real one to map, rinse & repeat etc.

Oh, this is more of a feature request?

It is now I guess, unless already suggested. Thought there might some non obvious way of doing it.

Yes this might be nice to have, I think it would be even better if the Host module could make the controls of the VST visible to Rack, so you could map them with MIDI-MAP or MIDI-CAT, and also use the stoermelder stuff for morphing, preset switching etc.

1 Like

@Richie is this a feature request you would consider?

Feature requests for VCV-Host should go to contact@vcvrack.com please - it’s VCV that handles that aspect of the Host project.

Hello to all! Decided not to start a new topic. Can you please tell me - is it possible to send Notes and Gates messages from two midi devices to one VCV Host? Many (almost all) DAWs have a MIDI From option “All Inputs.” Is it possible to do this in VCV Host? I could not get.

No - only one midi channel is sent to the hosted VST.

If you need multitimbrality, you need to do a keyboard split.

I sent an Enhancement Request to VCV earlier.

Thanks for the quick response! I thought maybe my Superior Drummer is buggy. I usually feed it midi from M-Audio Trigger Finger and Alesis I.O. simultaneously. In Alesis I have Hi-Hat Control and bass drum pedal connected. It is hoped that this feature will be added at a later date.

I may have misunderstood your question.

You can use two inputs, but they end up on the same channel. But if you want to play one kit using two controllers, that’s exactly what you want.

Here, I can play the same dumpad, using beatstep and QWERTY keyboard. monophonic from each input

and 4 note polyphonic input from two controllers:

polymidimerge.vcvs (133.3 KB)

I could not find a 2 x 8ch poly-to-poly merge.

Error spotted in the patch - see below.

Yes (I repeated what you showed in the screenshots. None of the methods worked. The PMR example gave at least some result. The device ( Finger Trigger and Alesis) connected to the PMR first (above the other) is working fine. Signal does not pass from the second.

The MIDI>CV and host modules are not at all behaving as I expect

Maybe in a later version … sigh … yes.

Trying to make some sense of it, so I atleast can log a bug.

The negative behavior of the module is clearly visible on VCV Host - XL. There are no dedicated CV and GATE inputs here. When I select 1V \ Oct in the matrix by right click, the parameter is only assigned to one midi device. If I try to connect the second one in this way, the first assignment is erased.

I think it will be in a future version, perhaps it can help if you describe how you would like to use it, and send to VCV.

Thanks for the support! I don’t think this is a bug. I’ll have to write a request.

It seems to me to be working OK, but maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do:

Yes, I don’t know where the problem lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFMQ0Z52rfo

I press one key at a time - but I get some two-note events in the vst.

OCT is introducing an additional delay for V/Oct?

1 Like

DOH! I’m so stupid :slight_smile:
Thanks for spotting that.

midi-polymerge.vcvs (173.3 KB)

Midi monitor VST

1 Like