VCV 3-minute challenge Ep.3: Moon Rendezvous

What a great plot for a SiFi-novel.

3 Likes

And here is my attempt at the VCV 3 minute challenge episode 3 - moon rendezvous.

The video has the aliens rounding the moon tottering about in their spaceship getting ready for the final leg, just before they accelerate towards the hyperspace jump point on the far side of the moon.

The patch is totally generative, gates and triggers are generated by a Caudal source of randomness set to planetary motion which in turn feed into comparators and for the shorter note sequences some additional LFO’s and clock dividers. I control it with aid of some tact controls that feed the mixer, but other than the mix there is no control over what sound plays when.

No fancy audio reactive patching in touch designer for this video as well.

9 Likes

Very nice!!! :+1: … a little bit of suspence, but ordinary procedures in the control room …

I’ve had this running about 2 hours now while I work - not bored yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love these challenges! This is the first time I’ve used samples. They were taken from the Apollo 10 mission, which was the mission right before the actual moon landing. The astronauts heard some weird “music” while in orbit around the dark side of the moon. Here’s a link to the full audio if you’re curious.

And coincidentally the Apollo 10 mission was launched on this date in 1969. I hope you enjoy my interpretation of this moon rendezvous.

If you care to take a look at the patch and play with it, I’ve included the samples as well as instructions on where to load them.

Have fun! Thanks for the challenge!

~Kyle

10 Likes

Field recordings on the bridge of a Krell ship, nice!

Awesome! :+1: … when reality ends up being more compelling and mysterious than fiction!

Also thanks for the informative link (the original recording can also be found here Apollo 10 : John Stoll : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive , the file is 10-030702_5-OF-6 at around minute 43).

1 Like

Not got a video, I downloaded the AVI but not sure how to link the audio with it. So here’s a Walkman cassette left by the Martins whilst they were waiting for the rendezvous with the strange sound source emitter.

Dark side of the moon -Walkman by Adrian Bottomley | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Made using ideas from Artem Leonov-Supercharging your VCF tutorial

Dark side of the Moon Walkman | Patchstorage

2 Likes

Nice!!! :+1: … nothing to say here … sweet music for the aliens … but also for those who think of cables and knobs instead of notes (and also for those who have listened to enough jazz :smile: )

Yes wild jazz for Martians----- Niiiiceee Niiiccee Jazz

Ok, here is my attempt to score this lunar video with a generative patch. My melody is being generated by sampling a square wave after it passes through a Low Pass filter.

5 Likes

Very nice!!! :+1: … nice coordination of the 4 elements (generative blips, alien “voice”, drum and bass) … is the speed-up tempo at 1:57 intentional?

Thank you! Yes the tempo gets more and more glitchy along the length of the video as I have a slow envelope adding some wonkiness to my clocking LFO via its FM input.

I think you meant Jacub Ciupinski’s - he created that video. Artem (VCVRackIdeas) did leave the comment about a Three Sisters emulation, but I recognize Jacub’s design in your patch.

I was also intrigued by the recursive resonant filter techinque that Jacub shows, and used it in a patch for vcv challenge #65. Afterwards I saw this challenge and thought the technique, if not my same patch, could work well for this challenge.

My apologies it was Jakub Ciupinski’s tutorial. Really was supposed how much more you get out of any filter using this method.