VCV 2.0.4 compiled for Raspberry Pi 4/400

Step by step instructions were requested for building on Raspberry Pi/Arm Linux?

sudo apt install unzip git gdb curl cmake libx11-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxrandr-dev libxinerama-dev libxcursor-dev libxi-dev zlib1g-dev libasound2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtk-3-dev libjack-jackd2-dev jq zstd libpulse-dev pkg-config markdown autogen

git clone --recursive https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack.git

cd Rack
make dep -j4
Cfg/config.guess for libsamplerate will fail. download the replacement from where it tells you
make dep -j4
make -j4
cd plugins
git clone https://github.com/VCVRack/Fundamental.git
git submodule update --init --recursive
make dep -j4
make -j4
cd ../..
make dist

The repo below contains all these instructions and a patch to fix the architecture detection errors.

git clone https://github.com/DragonForgedTheArtist/VCVRack-rpi
2 Likes

EDIT : Nevermind, I found the manual , seems like I have to compile every plugin one by one. Thought there might be a allinOne solution.

Hello! Thanks for the effort you made , I could succesfully compile Rack on my Pi400.

But somehow I am to dumb to find any information there how to compile the Plugins other than the Fundamentals. e.g the ones you mentioned in ā€œPluginsThatBuild.mdā€ . Iā€™m sure I am missing something . Any hint would be appreciated. Thank you.

With thousands of plugins, a fair number of them proprietary, a build all is impossible.

While plenty of plugins build with a fairly standard process, there are some using custom build processes, sometimes requiring system installed dependencies.

I wonder if the Rack library site is buildable by anyone other than VCV - if it is, then that could be a starting point. At least itā€™s a source for links to a fair number of open source plugins in one place, which would save some time.

it can be done for close to all the open source plugins - i already linked it earlier in this thread, but here once more in case it was overlooked: GitHub - hexdump0815/rack-dockerbuild-v2: docker based build based on the rack v2 sources on armv7l and aarch64 on debian bookworm

1 Like

Is there a list of the plugins this builds?

nearly all v2 capable open sources repos linked in as submudules here: GitHub - VCVRack/library: Database for the VCV Library

1 Like

hello everyone, I know nothing about these devicesā€¦

I found an used Raspberry Pi4B near here and was wondering if I could use it for a live set (VCV Rack + ES-9 + modular).

the seller tells 2Gb RAM / SD Sandisk 16Gb / anodized aluminium case / alumimium dissipators installed on the processors / capacitive touch screen / original Raspberry foundation keyboard with usb HUB usb / mouse / 3A power supply / cables.

do they run on Linux? I have used Ubuntu and Manjaro in the past, and I know that I can run both Rack and Reaper on them, which is everything I need to play. if I need other distro no problem, its usage will be nothing fancy.

Iā€™m not looking for live audio processing, just want to sequence/modulate/quantize.

will it work?

do you think it will be possible to record as well?

The Raspi native OS is Raspian, a Debian derivative. It runs other linux flavors, too, even a version of Windows (IOT). There are quite a few small audio products based on Raspberry that are synths, samplers, and effects units.

1 Like

but if you use it you need to build all the modules yourself, donā€™t you?

Yes - there are no Pi plugins in the library, so you have to build them. Since this relies on Open Source to do so, paid and private plugins are not available. It also says ā€œmostā€, so there are some oss ones that arenā€™t available, either (Iā€™d guess due to external dependencies).

A 2G Pi is pretty small. Might not be enough for Rack, but good enough for other projects. For CV/Audio I/O, you probably need an add-on DAC. The built-in one isnā€™t very good.

Anything is possible if it is not prohibited. But, just because it is possible does not mean it is easy. As one who was working with hardware modular and RaspPI, Arduino, \Windows single board and NVIDIA Jetson and some other microcontrollers right before VCV Rack came along, I would say that if you have a strong hardware and software experience base and enjoy extreme challenges and lots of failure and compromise, go for it. I have abandoned all of my standalone music platforms except for running a rack variant on my IOS iPad and talking via MIDI and/or USB to hardware. That experience is very feasible, but, we canā€™t really talk about that here :wink:

I have no experience with a Microsoft surface or tablet but that may be also possible with Rack and hardware. But then using a Mac laptop might be even better.

1 Like

I run Rack on an old Surface tablet running Linux Mint (because itā€™s too old to upgrade to current Windows), and on a Surface Book 2 in Win11. Both work well for my use cases.

On the Book I can detach the screen and use it as a tablet, but then thereā€™s no USB port which I need for MIDI. I suppose I could get the peripherals to do Bluetooth MIDI, but thatā€™s probably not usable for my use case anyway. When I want to use the book tablet-like, I detach the screen and reattach in reverse, then fold it over the base to get a really fat tablet.

Unfortunately, touch in Rack is a really poor experience. Otherwise Rack would be joyful to use for live performance.

Itā€™s a poor experience because touch isnā€™t supported, yes?

Touch is supported insofar as the os translates touch to mouse, but the result is just bad.

So yes. To get a better experience means the app needs explicit touch (multipointer) support. VCV hasnā€™t shown interest in improving that aspect (at least in 2.x). I can understand that itā€™s a large task because the Rack x-plat GUI dependency (GLFW) is itself hostile to non-common-denominator., so no touch until Mac ships it (ignoring the existance of WACOM) and GLFW adds it.

Um, yeah, I know how computers work.

ok so I realized that:

I wonā€™t be able to run Rack as VST inside Reaper on this RPi4b, as the Linux distribution of VCV Rack Pro only supports Intel or AMD processors, and a Raspberry Pi has an ARM processor.

I could run Rack standalone in version 2.0.4 which is kindly ready for these devices, but I would need to compile myself the modules that I need (only open source ones). ATM I have no idea on how to do it, but of course I can learn it. Luckily, I donā€™t need a thousand modules for this project.

Serious question, why not just use Cardinal then?

It fully supports Linux ARM builds, and works as a plugin too. It is all opensource and be compiled in 1 go if needed (so no need to manually build multiple separate plugin modules).

I often run Cardinal on a mac mini M1 with Asahi Linux on it, and runs quite okay. It used to have graphical glitches but that was months ago. Obviously a Pi will be slower than that, but I know that the Linux ARM builds will work as intended.

it could be a solution. never had the need to look at these Pi(s). thank you for the info :+1:

I was a little bit rusty with Linux, but now everything works.

Reaper/Cardinal/ES-9, kinda impressive :broccoli:

1 Like