=== vcp challenge #76: one voice ===

I have been inspired! So, my third (and last) reply to the challenge. I edited yesterday’s setup a bit. As it is now, I see more points for evolution into different directions. So this has become an interesting challenge indeed.

Make sure you can hear the whole frequency range.

The patch: HiDrive

3 Likes

My idea with this patch was to create a functioning drum machine using only one sound source. Plaits has several oscillator models including an analog bass drum, analog snare and analog hihat and stoermelder’s 8FACE allows you to switch instantly between saved presets on modules. So I made two kick presets, two snares and an open and closed hihat and saved them in a linear drum pattern on 8FACE.

Is it the perfect drum machine? No.

Would it sound better with a VCO dedicated to each drum? Probably.

But does it work? Yes.

Once again, it’s a real joy to experiment and discover just how much can be achieved with a single voice. It’s chaotic, psychedelic and all the noise being diffused by Plateu’s reverb ends up sounding almost like rain.

I hope you enjoy.

Patchstorage Link: vcp 76: Psychedelic Drums in the Rain | Patchstorage

Alright Devices, Audible Instruments, Impromptu, Mindmeld, stoermelder, Surge XT, Valley, VCV.

7 Likes

Here’s my “half working synth voice” waveselect-modulation one-vco challenge. That’s a bit to unpack.

Half working. This is a synth voice card that combines an AS3394 (synth-on-a-chip, analog VCO/VCF/VCA) and an SSI2130 (analog VCO). The '2130 isn’t soldered on yet, so I’ve just got the '3394. And I wire in a second VCO for modulation purposes at the beginning of the video. Something that won’t be necessary once I finish the project.

Waveselect modulation. The '3394 can switch between waveforms based on a voltage level. I don’t think it’s intended for audio rate modulation, but it works pretty well for that. I’m using it for accent here. The modulator is the lower/blue signal on the scope, and the main audio out is the top/yellow signal. When the modulator changes level the that’ll switch between tri/tri+saw/saw. The switching is at the rate of the modulator, so that’s a bit of thing. The effect can vary a bit with the modulator sync’d to the VCO.

Patch attached. You may be able to do something similar with a couple VCOs/VCF/VCAs and a switching module. wave_select_arpeggio.vcv (2.7 KB)

4 Likes

1st half audio and visuals: VCV Rack

2nd half audio and visuals: Hardware modular and Aphantasia/IllusTrip3D

Most modules are the same between the virtual and hardware rack recordings, Macro Oscillator 2 / Plaits being the one voice, with the following substitutes between VCV and hardware.

VCV: Audible Instruments Bernoulli Gate, Bogaudio S&H, VCV Sequential Switch 4 to 1, and Befaco Spring Reverb + Valley Plateau.

Hardware: After Later Audio Flip, Mosaic Sample | Hold, Doepfer A-151v, and Dreadbox Hypnosis Time Effects Processor.

Patchstorage is down as of this writing so here’s the patch attached:

VCP-76 - One Voice - CosmoProductions.vcv (4.8 KB)

The hardware rack is not quite as compact. Erica Synths Sample Drum wasn’t patched into the audio recording. I recorded it on separate channels playing 2 click tracks for syncing the animated VFX in the second half:

Golden Grid = Alright Devices Chronoblob2 delay time CV

Blue Blast = Nano Modules Font filter pinging CV

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Being a singer, I thought it would be a shame for me not to create a patch for the One Voice challenge using my actual voice. The basic idea here was to record a few bass notes and simple phrases that could harmonise with each other, and then to run them in a random order through delay and reverb to achieve that harmony. NYSTHI’s Simpliciter, and as usual, Alright Devices’ Chronoblob and Valley’s Plateau were the perfect tools for the job.

What I’ve ended up with is a sort of spacious ambient and at times, drone-like patch. I think there’s a lot of potential to this if we break free of the limitations of the One Voice challenge, but that’s a topic for another day.

In the meantime I hope you enjoy this last submission of mine to vcp-76. It’s been an education to say the least; the challenges limitations really forced me to alter my approach to patching and I came up with ideas I don’t think I would have otherwise. Thank you to Ablaut for opening up this challenge, I will almost certainly revisit it in the future.

Alright Devices, Bogaudio, Count Modula, MindMeld, NYSTHI & Pyer Dissociates, Surge XT, Valley, VCV

Patch file: vcp-76: My Voice through Simpliciter | Patchstorage

10 Likes

what a wonderful drone generator :notes:

1 Like

Excellent!

1 Like

one more try:

just one instance of dark energy,
I changed the cable connections to the gate-seq-64 and the S&H eight on the fly while recording it.

the patch:
2023_09_10_VCP-76_minimals_ALT_02.vcv (22.1 KB)

7 Likes

That was truly angelic, surprising what a load of reverb can do to one sound. Amazing

1 Like

Very nice :+1:

1 Like

When I thought about “one voice,” I had the idea to take something that sounded very “synth-y” and morph it into something that sounds (to me) like more of a musical-instrument voice, in the neighborhood of a cello. I also enjoyed figuring out how to use Bogaudio modules for weighted selections of note pitches and lengths.

There’s a patchstorage link in the Youtube video description. As a new user, I wasn’t able to post a second link here.

I’ve only been using VCV Rack for a month or so—I would be grateful for tips and constructive criticism.

9 Likes

That’s what I’d call a great start. It’s a highly enjoyable and creative piece. Well done!

1 Like

Hi all, here is my first entry for the challenge.

It’s a SEQ-64 driving the modal synth from Audible instruments.

Patch file: Drunk drums desperately trying to attract a fat bass in jungle (vcp-76).vcv (15.7 KB)

3 Likes

Another one, this time Entropia driving Energy, all from Geodesics.

Patch file: Sonar technician post-traumatic insomnia (vcp-76).vcv (16.3 KB)

6 Likes

My last patch. This time, Energy is driven by a Super Arpeggiator with some randomized modulations of inputs.

Some polyphonic illusion for this one

Patch file: Chirping Mechanical bird playing with delay effect (vcp-76).vcv (16.0 KB)

7 Likes

Thank you for this challenge. It’s a simple one with LFOs. just get the vibe.

3 Likes

Here is my second entry:

ADDR-Seq goes through the quantizer and the first LFO modulates the octave on a stepped waveform. The oscillator is String VCO which has a modulated exciter. the VCF is also modulated. then there is delay and reverb with the LFOs connected to the input.

3 Likes

I have another entry:

I kept it minimal. clock on 60bpm and ADDR Sequencer for VCO, VCF, ADSR, and LFO for the octave all from Bogaudio.

6 Likes

Hello there and friendly greetings!

Here I am with my patch! Please, keep in mind I don’t really make Music, I make noises! :wink:

As Ablaut said:

– only one audio path

– as much processing as you want

– no mixer modules

– no polyphony

Well, I really don’t know if it is “very cool” but I like it. I realized only after I uploaded it that you might want to change retail Caudal with free Caudal (it does change nothing in the patch) and you might want to download my Chiptune blank plugin (just for the aesthetic). The rest is absolutely trivial: one VCO driven by a sequencer; the output is fìltered by 6 reverb and 6 delay, each one of them has a state memorized in støermelder 8face each of those state is randomly selected by a Bernoulli gate and slapped on by a strip module. Seriously, nothing fancy here. The VCO signal is monophonic. Some eyecandies “just because”… :slight_smile:

PATCHSTORAGE

4 Likes

I have been enjoying this thread a lot. Thanks everyone! So here is my (late) entry for the challenge:

A simple idea and an excercise in generative technique. For a sounddesign of a theaterplay, I made an arpeggiating machine bowing down and up again. Very minimal, very quiet.

A piano (Felt Instruments LEKKO) plays arpeggios that butterfly around two chords. The chords variate slightly themselves and together create generative pitch classes quite elegantly.

The arpeggios are also bound to a certain range. The lower bound of this range is modulated downwards and up again slowly opening up to more complex melodic material and closing again.

It is very Philip Glass-like and it is quite elegant. And it is very useful for my work for a theater group.

Enjoy!

5 Likes