=== vcp challenge #57: impromptu sequencer ===

LOL…I was thinking about Solaris when I was working on this. I haven’t seen the movie since the 80’s. I should probably watch it again. I started to read Stanislaw Lem’s “Summa Technologiae” this summer. I haven’t finished it yet, but maybe I’ll do an album about some of his ideas from the book.

Hopefully Omri’s got a microtonal video somewhere.

i started working on a code patch to make that configurable ages ago, but never finished it. it isn’t hard to do for someone who knows how to code, but i’m just an amateur.

2 Likes

Impromptu Chord Randomizer

I setup all 4 tracks on Impromptu’s Foundry with a C Minor scale. Then set each track to Random. Each clock/gate cycle will create a new chord (using notes from the C Minor scale). The notes are merged and sent to 2 Squinky labs Saws. Then through some filters, etc. with a little reverb and delay.

7 Likes

I’d say! The scala scale archive contains 5050 right now

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/scalesdir.txt

1 Like

Microtonal Chord Clusters. Another entry for the VCP 57 challenge. The Impromptu Foundry sends random notes to the microtonal quantizers. The bottom row is a little pluck thing that fades in and out. If you connect the 8F0 to the Fc inputs of the Formant filters, it will start sounding slightly demonic. Sometimes I can listen to this stuff for hours…other times, meh. Eventually I’ll create some sort of Microtonal Chord sandbox patch.

9 Likes

Yeah, let’s make a Composition (with a capital C), that’s what those Impromptu sequencers are all about. Four voice polyphony, simple melodies, based on two riffs that I improvised a few decades ago, intro, three verses with a tiny bridge and outtro.

3 Likes

One of my favourite things to do with sequencers is drive them at audio rates. Here, one Seq 64 is driven by an Instruo Cš-L and the outputs of all 4 channels are mixed and filtered to provide some ambient noise over the top of the drone from the Cš-L. A second Seq 64 is used to provide gates for the other sounds.

Patch file here: Impromptu2.vcv (148.7 KB)

10 Likes

oooooooooh, very dark!

1 Like

Hi all.

First off: sorry for the low quality video. It's my first (my last, my everything?) and besides, recording it almost brought my CPU to its knees.

Second: I kinda cheated (I guess) because not all the sounds were made with vcv, some were created with vst instruments, recorded and then integrated into the patch with complex simpler. I also had to use some loops to keep my CPU happy. Some sounds and sequencers are also triggered from a midi track. And I did the mixing with my daw, via midi cc data. If all or any of the above is not allowed for this challenge simply consider my entry as none existant.

I'll upload the patch below, but, as said, it contains some loops which will not be included (not allowed?). The mix will also be lost of course.

That shouldn't spoil the fun however because the patch contains some ideas (I quite like and need further exploring) for sound effects.

Nuff said.

Enjoy. If not the music than at least the day.

The (poor quality) video of my entry, and the patch: Test QAR +CW 3-0_Phase 2.vcv (373.1 KB) (And yes, I’m a long time Brian Eno fan.)

9 Likes

My what a beautiful patch, I hear ‘My life in the Bush of Ghosts’ in there, am I hearing things-‘Jezebel Spirit’. All the wonders that Mr Eno and now you can boast about. Great work!!

1 Like

This was interesting. I wanted to learn Foundry but I don’t think it suits my work flow. So instead of that I used Gate-Seq-64 to sequence drums. Normally I only use it to structure a piece (turning tracks on and off in the mixer and changing the modes of certain switches, sometimes changing key as well) but I use Trowsoft Trigseq64 as my main drums sequencer because, well, it takes up so much less space. The advantage with Gate-Seq is the probability settings that make “tuning” the rhythmic variation that bit easier. I also used Chord-Key and Clocked and I had intended to use Foundry to control which drum sequence and chord I was using but I just didn’t get on with it very well so I found another way.

I came up with the rhythm first (based on trying to understand what makes Autechre who they are) and then struggled to find instrumentation that fit it. This is the third distinct version:

vcp-57.vcv (306.5 KB)

I’ve tried to make the visuals a bit more muted than normal so that more people can watch it.

4 Likes

It’s a good challenge, right, the Autechre bit? :wink: In the same boat, although I haven’t touched their drums yet.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to do a slavish copy but just trying to understand the ideas behind it all is good.

Love the dirty chord voice and hats in that!

1 Like

Thx.

Sometimes I wonder whether my logos put people off.