=== vcp challenge #57: impromptu sequencer ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, the challenge is to make a patch with any of the sequencers from impromptu

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack using the chosen module and upload your patch to patchstorage.com and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-57
  • you are encouraged to only use free modules in the patch (but this is not strictly required)
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube (if possible)
  • add a link to your video as a comment to this post (these videos will be collected in a playlist)
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, january 25th
(though late entries will still be added to the playlist)

6 Likes

Go on them I’m in on this one. So any of impromptu sequencers, there’s thousands of them, Spot the hyperbole there!?

i know, but i figured people may have a favorite or be more familiar with a certain one. choose whichever one you like, or use all of them!

Also, remember that many/most of them support the clipboard to copy paste with other sequencers, or in this case with each-other. Actually, now that I think about it, I’m not sure that’s accurate, but @marc_boule can tell us.

Definitely :slight_smile: I made a summary table near the top of my manual page for this (last line in the table):

9 Likes

oh, nice! Am I right in assuming that new users can start sequencing in PS16, 32, or Foundry and change their minds later any copy all their data that way?

Only one sequence at a time though, unfortunately, and things like slide and the song itself will not be copied, but with patience it can still save some time.

gateseq64 is a mainstay for me, though i tend to use it to control the structure of tracks rather than for beats. I guess this is finally the opportunity to learn Foundry that I’ve been anticipating.

1 Like

Here’s one:

8 Likes

(I continue to like Gateseq as a drum sequencer with probability and patterns and all that, but to send control triggers - say, open a delay every 4 bars or so - JW’s fairly recent Trigs has won me over)

It’s maybe a bit weird but I don’t use it to trigger things much at all, it’s just a matter of controlling the volume of individual tracks.

1 Like

I use Impromptu’s modules a lot. Here’s a little sci fi microtonal ambience for you.

12 Likes

Thuban

I used the GateSeq with probability to trigger sample and hold notes that have some repeateing elements due to the sequential switches.

vcp57 Thuban.vcv (176.7 KB)

6 Likes

Love it. Could easily be something from Solaris (the original Tarkovsky version) or Forbidden Planet

Truly beautiful, always wondered what microtonal was, how do u achieve that in VCV Rack, visuals please! Thanks

Luscious. Spacious. Eno would have been proud to have that on Apollo.

I would be really grateful to know which video program you use to to mask out the Rack background.

1 Like

you can do some nice microtonal stuff with any decent quantizer. NSYTHI’s can load scala files (and if you look online there is a whole world of them out there). And if I may be so bold, you can check out Frozen Wasteland’s Probably Not(e) series of Quantizers - the Bohlen Pierce and Arabic versions explore specific micro-tonal scales and if want to go down the rabbit hole, the Math Nerd version lets you generate all kinds of cool micro-tonal scales (all under cv control!)

1 Like

Thanks, more adventures in my sound journey, I will give the Scala archive [Oct 2020] a good try out in Nysthi’s Poly Scala. Also your modules as well, I have used the Arabic version not tried Bohlen Pierce though. Much appreciated.

Thanks. Video work is mostly Photoshop, really, where I make a .png with the modules eventually cut out (and same cables redrawn) to place over the screen-recording.

I asked for a “streaming mode” a while ago so that we could just have a green background instead of the grey stuff and shadows but it hasn’t been accepted yet.