Valley Dexter sound like Akemie

Love Dexter and use it on everything. I’ve noticed from the demos on YouTube of the similar akemies castle that the sound is a bit more fuzzy and less harsh. I guess it’s those old chips and dacs. Any tips on getting that warm fuzzy sound out of Dexter, or with any extra processing. The harsh and cleaner tone is good for lots of things but I want to get to that fuzziness too!

On one Youtube clip, he uses the "Donner echo square " in ‘Tape mode’ on the output - Perhaps that’s what you’re looking (/hearing) for.

And a MUM M8 low pass filter on part of it. Plenty of low pass filters in VCV.

I have used Slate Digital VTM VST before - I won’t try to describe what it does to the signal, it just sounds better. But it’s quite expensive.

This Analog tape emulation comes to mind in VCV.

1 Like

Not sure I agree with your premise, Dexter can sound many ways, and is vastly deep,. The YM2149 chip used in Akemie has a 5bit DAC,. perhaps some bit crush then some saturation.

I find many people looking for warm and fuzzy from digital forget that all physical synths go through an often low-fi DAC,. and an amp/filter of some sort,… then probably into an analog mixer likely adding more saturation. No reason not to put your digital synth in a digital system through some models of analog saturation or light distortion to add these elements.

1 Like

Not to mention that a lot of classic synth sounds involved a number of stomp boxes between the synth and the DAC. Listen to the bass line in the following. There is definitely some effects box after the synth.

1 Like

Their manual says on p.4 they use a Yamaha YMF262.

I didn’t find the info on what they use for DAC, but it’s often used with Yamaha YAC512 (16 bit dynamic range).

1 Like

my bad,. wrong chip from search results. same advice though.

1 Like

Thanks been playing around with bit crushing which is getting more towards what I was after.

1 Like