Using git bash instead of MSYS2 ?

Is it possible to make dist using git bash or WSL2 on windows instead of MSYS2? It’s very inconvenient having the plugin in home directory generated by MSYS2 instead of an actual directory.

I am switching my laptop and unsure actually if the new one will run linux as fine as my previous setup. Not to mention availability of Altium and all on windows :slight_smile:

Anything is possible…btw msys2 does not force directory.I cd to a real directory,like’cd //c/rack’

If what I think you’re getting at is this:

The bash terminal can be opened set to a startup directory with the -where option (right-click the shortcut and select properties)

e.g. C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -where C:/_Projects/VCVRack/Rack-SDK-2/plugins

My excuses it took me some time to reply. Hectic days :slight_smile: I’d like to use GitBash instead of MSYS. For example I have the SDK in a folder and when I run python helper.py createplugin MyPlugin it’s fine and creates the directory within the SDK path. When I run make within the MyPlugin it returns:

process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, jq -r .slug plugin.json, ...) failed.
C:/dev/vcv/Rack-SDK/plugin.mk:5: pipe: No error
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, jq -r .version plugin.json, ...) failed.
C:/dev/vcv/Rack-SDK/plugin.mk:6: pipe: No error
C:/dev/vcv/Rack-SDK/plugin.mk:9: *** SLUG could not be found in manifest.

I set the rack directory as: export RACK_DIR=/c/dev/vcv/Rack-SDK

Is that error with bash or msys2?

GitBash, MSYS2 works but I prefer to have gitbash if that’s possible

Then you get the standard answer. The documented and supported process works fine. If you want to do something else, go for it!

I use Git Bash for building Rack plugins but I don’t quite understand your specific inconvenience mentioned using MSYS2.

To make it work, you need to manually install all programs needed for the build system (gcc, make, jq, zstd… etc.), and maybe also export some more names (for example, I need to set CC to gcc).