Using different audio drivers for input and output

This might be a daft question, but here’s the scenario: I like to process live guitar through Rack on Windows 10, and use a Boss ME-25 preamp/FX unit with a USB output to get sound into the laptop. So, for incoming audio I select ‘IN - (ME-25) (1,2 in)’ and get a nice clean guitar signal to run through any crazy modular effects I can dream up. Great, but how do I hear it? The only way I’ve found to do this is add a second Audio-8 module (which I read is unsupported) and select a different driver for the output. This is amazing when it works, but does seem unstable. Anyone else have this problem, and is there anything else I can do apart from wait for v2, which will support multiple audio modules?

I believe you can use ASIO4ALL to create an aggregated device of your ME-25 and whatever you are using for output.

I’m on Mac and this functionality is built in so not 100% sure.

This thread may be useful

Cheers, I’ll have a look at that. Last time I installed ASIO4ALL it seemed to become even more unstable, to the point where I nuked the lot and reinstalled Windows. There probably isn’t a perfect solution to this yet, on Windows at least.

I m not sure but I think I read it will be complete suported in the upcoming version (or the vst?)

Yeah, as far as I understood it, in VCV 2, it will be possible to use multiple interfaces at the same time. Can’t wait!

1 Like

It can be done on linux using jack. I have surround outputs via HDMI through a cinema amp, stereo outs from a UMC202 and also a USB mixer, I can route any audio to any or all outputs, similarly I can also route inputs from the integrated soundcard, UMC202 and / or USB mixer to wherever I want just by dragging virtual patch cables in Carla.

Jack and Carla are available for windows, I don’t use windows so cannot comment further than that, but you may want to give it a try.

2 Likes

indeed, Linux is the best modular OS

3 Likes

“The Steinberg ASIO audio API allows only a single device driver to be loaded and accessed at a time.” quote: https://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/apinotes.html (Rack v1.x uses RtAudio)