Useful Sampling Website

This site will tune in a broad range of broadcasts from shortwave up to 30mhz.

It allows you to record and save Shortwave broadcasts. FYI you can change the sample rate. Sometimes noisy stations sound better with a sample rate of 8KHZ.

Luckily most of the Rack samplers - and Nysthi, my sampler plugin of choice - can read files recorded at arbitrary sample rates.

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

18 Likes

Thank some great noises can be found and created by the volume slider as well.

I second this, I’ve found loads of cool weird sounds on here, just there for the taking

Love it! Instant Hainbach.

Awesome website, I have been finding lots of strange things by zooming in and looking for interesting patterns…

This sounds like a Muslim call to prayer, which I would NOT sample out of respect.

The wild thing about the display is that it’s like a FFT display of the entire shortwave radio spectrum, but when you zoom in, it’s also related to the actual spectrum of individual stations. You’ll note that if you increase the sample rate the bounding bracket for the current station also widens. And visually, single side band encoding shifts the bounding bracket up and down. What that all means in concrete terms I don’t know.

Intruiging stuff.

For some reason I can scan and listen for hours. Although most of it is either noise or distorted gibberish. There is some feeling of exploring unknown and unpredictable territory, discovering all sort of intruiguing stuff on the way.

Apparently this short wave receiver is not only based in the Netherlands, where I happen to live, but it is located on the campus of the Technical University of Enschede where I happen to have “studied” for some time, many years ago, pretty near where I lived at that time.

Apart from radio broadcasts that offer music or spoken word, many mysterious signals fill bits of the spectrum. Sometimes pretty narrow band, sometimes wider band.

There is noise, sweeps and bleeps, distorted but sort of recognizable music or speech, digital bitstreams (I guess) and morse code (who still uses that?). Also on the spectrograph you find diagonal lines suggesting some form of linear timed channel hopping?

All sorts of inintended but useful use is possible, experimenting with parameters like the decoding algorithms (CW, LSB, USB, AM, FM, AMsync), the bandwidth (filter) and noise reduction.

Anyway…

It opens up yet another intruiging world of sounds and noises. Where will I find time to actually live a life, while being distracted by stuff like this…

Recordings from these sorts of “noise” sources could easily be mixed into music like this:

David Sylvian & Holger Czukay - Plight (The Spiralling Of Winter Ghosts)

I just noticed that I can Zoom in on the FFT/Spectrogram with CTRL+Mouse Scroll. This reveils more detailed frequency(bands). Very usefull when finding/adjusting the correct (center) frequency and bandwith.

Also, when zooming in far enough I discovered radio transmitter/station labels below the horizontal frequency axis.

Just jumping in in the middle of this, this reminds me of a hologram.

Wonderfully weird. I found a morse… orchestra?

Sounds like a free website replacing a wall of gear. :grin:

1 Like

Also reminded me of the SETI receivers sifting a broad spectrum for WOW! signals, as popularized in the “Contact” movie.

Yup…there’s morse code (and bitstreams) in there too.

30 metres 10100-10150 kHz Only used for Morse code and digital transmissions.

The site below is also referenced on the @chaircrusher tipped (Wide-band WebSDR) site under tab “Station info”. It offers (among other stuff) a listing of “Short Wave Frequency Bands”

https://www.short-wave.info/index.php?feature=frequencies

And of course there are morse decoders available as well (morsecode audio to text).

1 Like

Software Defined Radio. You can do this yourself very cheaply at home with a DVB-T stick, an antenna (just a long bit of wire will work for HF) and appropriate software.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/dvb-t/

2 Likes

Yeah, SDR is awesome and fascinating. If you really want to go down the rabbithole of decoding and analyzing signals there’s GNU Radio and you can do a LOT. I’ve often wondered if it might be useful for audio DSP developers but I’ve yet to see anyone mention it.

1 Like