unless modules : new ( avoider, pianoid )

took some time but 4 new modules coming up!

if you can build from source, you can try them now, or wait for the library builds to come through.

I’ll have more details for this update in an announcement (see some in the new changelog)

feedback is appreciated!

4 Likes

3 Likes

here’s a live view of the new modules on their way to the library :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not that excited…I’m that excited.

(Not sure what I mean.)

1 Like

let your patches answer that hmm…

I’m excited about what you’ll do with snakia! After piong, I knew I wanted to do something similar but was struggling to find the right game. Even though I’ve played many incarnations of snake, it never occured to me as a candidate, but it is a good one, I think. Since your question I’ve added additional outputs that send out the distance of the wall from the snake, which makes it easier to create self-driving ones. This time I also cheated a bit with cheats that modify the original gameplay, some makes it harder for the snake to die. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you! in towers bipolar mode with connected modulation to CV input we’ve got negative range ok to -5 but the positive one stays as the same for unipolar - 10volts. EDIT: also the room module - so nice! I like the option that allows to add rows on the same row instead of upper ones. But could you add same function to delete rows button? This may be useful for working with template easily I believe. Cheers! EDIT2: room - cycle option is nice but we have to place the module down or up desired switched rows, maybe it would be useful to use same row to replace upper or bottom row (EDIT again - I understand now why you did that - to prevent cycling of room module itself :)))) EDIT3:those buttons on the room can’t be mapped right now but it can be pretty useful to use keyboard or controller to cycle rows without focusing on this module at all

Thought you’d like to know that my build of the latest repo doesn’t work. I get this error when Rack tries to load the plugin:

*** buffer overflow detected ***: ./Rack terminated

Ubuntu 18.04, VCV Rack v1.dev

Best regards,

dp

hey, thanks for trying out stuff!

I’m not sure I get what you are saying about towers. Could you explain?

room is pretty much just a quick hack, it might even break in future versions of rack. Let’s hope it’s features will somehow find themselves into rack itself. I’m not sure I want to add delete functionality, isn’t deleteting a whole row right now pretty fast anyways?

The buttons aren’t mappable since the whole thing runs on the rendering thread. What would be the usecase? If you want to cycle some rows it would mean you want to manipulate the modules inside them with mouse (so you are already prepared to click), no?

Ouch, I can’t reproduce this :frowning:

Does it happen right on load, without any of my modules already in the patch?

Yes, Rack crashes before it can open. When I remove the unless folder the problem is gone. I’ll try a debug run later today and will let you know what I find.

Best,

dp

Thanks for looking into this!

Maybe it has something to do with the new theme file I’m trying to use. My plugin should create an “unlessgames” folder inside your Rack directory with a theme.json file when Rack starts. Do you have that since the crash?

I have the folder but it’s empty.

could you try the latest commit? maybe it will fix it for you!

Hey, thanks for the commit, it’s apparently all good now. The plugin loads without problem, all modules instantiated without problems. I haven’t actually tested anything, but now I can start. :slight_smile:

thank you for reporting the problem!

one last thing just to make sure its truly ok, could you post what’s in the mentioned theme.json file now?

but I guess its only needed if you crash the next time you launch rack heh.

if it works, you can change the colors of all of my modules (except piong) through there, if grey is not your thing.

good luck!

1 Like

I will release a module to adjust the colors instead of the file editing, when I finalize what exactly a color theme contains.

Contents of theme.json:

{
  "bg": "76736ff",
  "fg": "191919f",
  "in": "b7ad9ef",
  "out": "4e4c4af",
  "version": 1
}

that doesn’t look completely right :confused: modules will be semi transparent :smiley:

pushed an update that hopefully deals with this!