Tonecarver Blur - First VCV Module!

I could not see anything obvious that would cause lights not to work and audio not to pass. For those of you with issues:

• What version of VCV Rack are you running? (I am on v1.1.6)
  • Which OS are you using (I am on Win 10, 64 bit)
  • Can you provide a patch file or a video that demonstrates the problem?

Version 1.0.0a is out on dropbox and up on GitHub.

This version includes a few tweaks to Blur (robot gain adjusted, blur control scaled per @Xenakios suggestion, misc tweaks) and introduces the Morse module.

Morse takes a clock input and generates gate output using Morse code patterns based on random characters. The vision is to eventually be able to read those characters (or binary bytes) from a user specified file. Right now only Clock and Out(gate) do anything.

Found a bug in Blur where things could go bad under certain combinations of sample rate, fft size, and oversample. Version 1.0.0b uploaded to Dropbox:

Let me know if this fixes the ‘no light’ and ‘silent audio’ problems.

1 Like

the v1.0.0b seems to fix the bugs,
I tried it and I could run 3 instances of it, and I tried hard to break them,
but I couldn’t. I tried all extreme settings and combinations of them,
all 3 modules worked flawless and the sound was fine and VCV didn’t crash.
I’m on Win10 64bit with VCV 1.1.6.

1 Like

Most recent changes not in github repo or am I looking in the wrong place ?

Last night’s patch silent after loading it this morning, nothing coming out of the Blur module. Btw, I’m on Linux, Ubuntu 18.04, GCC 7.5.0.

Had the push to guthub on my todo list and missed it. Changes for 1.0.0b are there now.

1 Like

Version 1.0.0c for Blur is up. This version runs on VCV Rack 1.1.6.

Updates: (thanks for the suggestions)

• Freeze button - freezes audio history contents. Incoming audio is ignored. This is the same effect as setting the Frame Drop to max
  • Phase Reset button - resets the phase history tables that can accumulate tiny errors over time as phases are manipulated by blur, pitch, etc.
  • Pitch Quantization - pitch changes are quantized to: smooth (not quantized), semitones, fifths, and octaves
  • Mix - Dry / Wet mix
  • Frequency Isolation - the Freq Center and Freq Span parameters define the central point and width of a global frequency range. Each effect block (Blur, Pitch, Gain) has an individual frequency range application selector that defines which freq range is affected by the block. ‘Inside’ applies the effect to the frequencies within the global freq range. ‘Outside’ applies the effect to the frequencies that are outside the global freq range. ‘All’ applies the effect to the entire audio range. For Pitch, there 2 additional modes. ‘Inside Only’ applies the effect to the frequenciess inside the global freq range and suppresses frequencies outside that range. Conversely, ‘Outside only’ applies the effect to the frequencies outside the global freq range and suppresses the frequencies within.

Try combinations of Blur, Pitch and Gain freq selections while sweeping the Freq Center and Freq Span controls.

Source is in GitHub. Windows distribution is here:

3 Likes

I tested the new build 1.0.0c
I couldn’t find any bugs yet (Win10 64bit VCV v1.1.6)

:+1:

1 Like

Version 2.0.0 for VCV Rack 2 is here: Windows only for now as I haven’t organized my github repo to include v2 yet.

6 Likes

thank you for that! I love use maximum FFT settings and even oversampling. Got some hog CPU performance then but that’s for every FFT even VST I tried before. Here is my result (perfect mixing with mutable stuff too)

2 Likes

Blur source for V2 is up on GitHub: GitHub - Tonecarver/tcRackModules, on the v2 branch.

If anyone is willing to do a Mac or Linux build, please share.

2 Likes

I just uploaded a v2 Mac build to your GitHub issues.

@flyingLow has a repo of v2 Mac builds - can it be added to that?

Great module btw!

1 Like

Awesome, thanks.

Yes, sure, please add the module to the @flyingLow repo.Could you also post a link to the repo in this thread? Thanks.

1 Like

Sure - the repo is here:

When I right click on lots of your knobs, like wet dry, it doesn’t keep the number I type. (v2 mac)

What value are you entering for Wet/Dry, for example? I did not do much testing of entering values by the right click popup so I may have missed something. The values that work for me (on Windows) are in the raw knob range [0…1]

yes, now I see entering 0 to 1 does work. Entering anything in the displayed ranges doesn’t work, like 50 for wet/dry or 2 for Length. The user doesn’t know this though. Seems like a bug.

I do want to say I love your module for fun sound design stuff. Thank You!!!

1 Like

Yes, if you override the display you are “supposed” to override the strong parse, too. I have to confess I often don’t do that, but I got busted on my compressors, so I did it there.

1 Like

Thanks, added to the TODO list

2 Likes

Such a great sounding module loving the atmosphere you can create with this module @tonecarver . Thanks for creating this, looking forward to exploring the possibilities. I have noticed when I reopen a patch after saving the quantise feature resets, small issue but maybe fixable?

1 Like

Thanks! Will add the Quantize issue to my TODO list.

1 Like