Text editors

Instead of using regular Notepad, I highly recommend Notepad++

6 Likes

My favourite editor: https://www.sublimetext.com/

5 Likes

+1 for SublimeText , has been my main editor for years

3 Likes

Yes, the world is divided between users of Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code. They are both excellent. Only one is free, however.

And re:old school. There are no old school text editors that do syntax highlighting for JSON, you need a programmer’s editor for that. All the ones mentioned above are trivially easy to use for this. file open / type / save.

1 Like

i keep switching between vim (talk about old school…) and atom, both of which are free and open source, just like vcv rack :grinning:

1 Like

Just had a quick look at Code, so far so impressed, thanks.

emacs. steep learning curve. does everything, once you learn how.

2 Likes

same here ! I’m at university, and i tend to have a very terminal oriented workflow, where vim is my editor. However, for big projets with tons of libraries i gotta keep going to, or when i correct code after compilation, i use a terminal on one side of the screen, a tiny firefox window under, and the rest of the screen is an instance of atom with all the .c and .h files open :slight_smile:

TLDR: Young student here, uses Vim and Atom like Ablaut :smile:

1 Like

Xcode and visual studio code on mac
VSC on win

3 Likes

I prefer VS Code Insiders on Mac. MacDown is excellent for writing markdown content.

Now that I think about it the editor i used to use a lot with Python was whatever came free with Ruby at the time (many years ago now).

I use one of the markdown plugins in vs code. It’s not the best thing in the world, but T-shirt good enough for me.

Loving VS Code now :slight_smile: Just add the rack sdk directory and all of a sudden auto-complete everything / lookup definitions etc etc I used the pro VS for many years but that was a loooong time ago, good to have intellisense back and better than I remember it. Any tips from seasoned users welcome.

2 Likes

Tried to get into (neo)vim on a number of occasions. Settled on VSCode a couple years ago and use it for everything (write grants for work). I’m interested in the browser implementation MS is working on, haven’t checked in on the project in a while.

How do you do that Ewen? Sorry if it’s a dumb question.

Notepad++ is nice, but for a text editor alone VSC is way nice/better. VSC is also a pretty good IDE but not my preferred IDE.

I agree, it seems better, and it sure it lighter and faster.

1 Like

Was a while ago, I think it was as simple as adding your Rack-SDK directory to folders in your code-workspace file, there may’ve been more to it, can’t remember :

"folders": [
		{
			"path": "."
		},
		{
			"path": "/home/ewen/Rack-SDK"
		}
	],

This guide on setting up debugging includes the steps for configuring intellisense:

From this thread:

1 Like