TapPatch proto (fast patching from keyboard or MIDI pads): feature requests requested!

Sounds good! I had already planned to let the module spread parameters out on a MIDI controller, but I think you’re on to something with a pure keys/pads approach as well! Consider it on the main feature list.

I imagine that some sort of coarse-fine control would be useful for knobs/sliders, and maybe a direct entry feature as well that allows typing a value (what right-clicking currently does on standard params).

As far as selection (for this and for the MIDI control spread), I’m thinking that the best way will be to select a module to target using the grid search, and then do a second grid search just on that module (there will be a cable patching mode that works like this too, BTW).

We can experiment with selecting from all onscreen params (the way it works right now for ports) but for some reason I think that might be more suited to patching than to parameter control. Not hard to try both ways, that’s just my best guess in advance; happy to hear your (or anyone else’s) thoughts on what to prioritize!

1 Like

Quick update: Real Life ™, specifically paid work, has intervened hard on my timeline. I should be able to get back to coding next week and will update the plan at that point! The good news is that during my time away I think I’ve solved some interface issues (in my head, at least) so there may be more in the alpha than originally planned. Still very excited to get this into other people’s hands as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Sign me up too!

1 Like

any news?

1 Like

Thanks all for continued interest in this!

@rsmus7, my head is finally getting above water from pandemic/day job stuff and I am excited to pick this up where I left off (plus some new design ideas). Hoping to have a proper update by the first week in September.

@pgatt, fantastic, will do!

1 Like

Hello all!

So, any other announcements recently? Anything going on? :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness, since we now have a Rack 2 date range (and since I’m going to be slammed at day job through November, it turns out) here is my goal:

• Spend any time I have between now and November:
    • (before Rack 2 alpha code is made public) refactoring and refining the existing features so the codebase is as clean as possible;
    • (after Rack 2 alpha code is made public) furiously adapting the existing code to the new API–while I think that everything planned (and more!) will be possible, this plugin is obviously way way out in the 10% of stuff that’s not an automatic upgrade).
  • Soon (maybe 2-6 weeks, depending on API stuff) after Rack 2 is released, I hope to have an alpha with approximately the feature set described above, which I’ll send around to the kind folks who have already expressed interest, as well as anyone else who speaks up before then.
  • After the alpha, and an open beta, if it seems rock-solid and the response is good, I’ll bother @Vortico about whether there ever might be space for this in the VCV Library, or whether it’s so far in the corners of the API that it will need to stay Pack Tau’d.
  • In either case, I’ll plan to open it up and continue development (it’s already essential to my own music-making, even in its current fragmentary form, and I think that people who like this sort of thing–however few or many there are–will really like it!)

So, thanks for both your interest and your patience, and I’ll be back in touch by November (or earlier, depending on when Rack 2 code drops and when I get a chance to start porting).

In the meantime, feature requests and expressions of alpha/beta interest are more than welcome!

2 Likes

Great idea! Which code you use to create pathches (cables) between modules? Is it api methods?

It’s been a while, but since then I’ve stumbled upon this gem: GitHub - rvaiya/warpd: A small X program which provides novel methods for keyboard driven cursor manipulation. It’s basically a keyboard-driven cursor controller. It’s obviously nowhere near as efficient as your idea, but worth mentioning for a very general use-case for those whose wrists hurts like mine from constant mouse use.

1 Like