Introducing Synthetic FX from SV Modular, a paid set of modules featuring:

• 4-Pole, a Four Pole Ladder Filter
  • Curds, an exclusive Digital Filter
  • Rez, a Resonating Filter
  • State, a State Variable Filter
  • Chorus, a Chorus Module
  • Comb, a Comb Filter

FX-small

All filters feature 16-voice Polyphony. More information and manuals can be found at SV Modular - Synthetic FX

Also released, Synthetic FX Free, a free version of:

• 4-Pole, a Four Pole Ladder Filter
  • Rez, a Resonating Filter
  • State, a State Variable Filter
  • Chorus, a Chorus Module
  • Comb, a Comb Filter

More information and manuals can be found at SV Modular - Synthetic FX Free

Videos coming soon!

7 Likes

Perhaps you could elaborate on the differences between the paid and free versions. So far I see V/oct and multiple panel colors in the paid version.

1 Like

Paid version includes Curds, which the free version does not.

The paid version also provides 3 panel selections:

• Red
  • Dark
  • Light

while the free version only includes Red panels.

The two most important differences are that the paid version includes up to 16 channel polyphony, where the free version is monophonic, and the paid version features V/Oct frequency following capability for all modules that support Frequency (along with parameter and CV frequency settings), whereas the free version only supports parameter and CV frequency settings.

3 Likes

Look forward to trying these on the banjo!

And here’s the first video featuring Curds

Note that Curds only comes with the paid version of Synthetic FX, not Synthetic FX Free.

1 Like

And a followup video featuring Rez

my first impression of the Pro version has Curds as favourite, but all filters are very musically, even when brought to their limits. The Chorus goes very fast very crazy when too much Delay is in use, but this is ok, one only have to know that. By now I only tried the polyphonic ones and they sound great. The mono versions I will examine the next days. Thanks again for your great modules. :metal::sunglasses:

mine too :slight_smile: and that’s one of the reasons why it’s a differentiator between the versions. it’s not just the implementation of a well-known algorithm, it’s a novel filter design of my own creation - it was difficult to come up with a naming convention for it, even in code since it’s so different!

yup! I was modeling it off of the chorus that ships as part of Paddington in Synthetic, where it’s allowed to go that crazy, so I decided to keep the parameters the same.

they should sound the same, with the limitations being the lack of v/oct following and being monophonic. otherwise, the code paths are the same.

glad you’re enjoying them! they were definitely fun to create.

1 Like

Some of these modules can output signals higher than 10V amplitude. Perhaps add clipping/saturation to the output? See https://vcvrack.com/manual/VoltageStandards.html#output-saturation.

3 Likes

When Synthetic FX and Synthetic FX Free update, you will find a context menu with four Limiter modes:

• None - no limiter
  • Clamp - clamps at +6.0 and -6.0 volts
  • Hard - compression with a hard ratio
  • Adaptive - adaptive compression

Use what sounds and works best for you.

I find that switching to “Hard” with Chorus, and turning the feedback all the way up while connecting a 440hz sine wave to the input gives me a very melodic and subtle sound.

Coming with the 1.1.0 update: Synthetic FX’s Curds gets 4 times better!

• New Frequency Adjustment
  • Band Pass Output
  • Low Pass Output
  • High Pass Output
  • Notch Output

Curds-small

And introducing Whey, the companion module to Curds!

Whey-small

New videos will be released tomorrow, with these awesome new improvements. Note that like Curds, Whey is exclusive to the paid Synthetic FX, and is not available as part of Synthetic FX Free.

Enjoy!

1 Like

And here’s a new video taking you through the new updates for Curds, and a quick introduction to Whey.

1 Like

Synthetic FX has been updated to 1.2.0:

• bug fixes to Curds and Whey for polyphony
  • new Tuffet Module
  • new Delay Module

Tuffet is another alternate implementation of the Curds algorithm, giving you another slightly different sound.

Delay is 16 step delay with a simple interface and 16-voice polyphony.