Syncing Rack 2 in a Daw (Reason 11 for example)

Hey all. Sorry if this is a super basic question or if it’s covered elsewhere but how do I sync the stop and start of a DAW with Rack 2?

Specifically I would like Impromptu’s Clocked to sync to Reason 11’s play and stop but I’m sure there are other ways I’d like to sync up the play heads of DAW’s to modules in Rack but for the life of me I can’t figure out how. Seems like a VST is sort of pointless if I can’t figure this one out :slight_smile:

Welcome, @MostlyMinerals! Interesting question–I’ll experiment later with this. What exactly do you want a copy of the DAW clock in Rack for (versus just driving Rack with externally clocked MIDI events)? (I mean, there are lots of potential reasons, but it might help to know what your immediate goal for it is).

Keep an eye out for @Omri_Cohen 's videos, he apparently has a whole VCV VST series coming up soon.

2 Likes

Thanks - Well since my DAW of choice is Logic I am running Rack 2 in Reason and it is not clear how to get midi clock from Reason into Rack either. Basically I want to get my patch to begin playing when I hit play in Reason.

Im sure this has an incredibly obvious solution but this isn’t my normal workflow as I mentioned.

Psyched to see what Omri has cooking!

You use the Midi > CV module. The CLK out gives a 24 ppqn pulse from the DAW. Plug that into Clocked’s BPM input and press Mode+ on Clocked until it says P24.

It should then sync and start/stop automatically when you press play/stop in the DAW but you could also take the CONT and STOP outputs from Midi > CV, put them both into an OR logic gate (or Bogaudio uMix works too) and plug the output of that into Clocked’s Run input (technically the start/stop may be slightly more responsive if you do this but the difference is relatively small)

8 Likes

nice! Expertise in action :slight_smile:

3 Likes

POW! Works like a charm!

I appreciate you

~ josh

1 Like

Great stuff. I was missing the ‘P24’ setting and couldn’t work out why it wasn’t synching. All fixed. I can carry on now. Thanks. J

1 Like