Surge XT

Not sure other than I seem to love the FM-OP functionality and sound. But can’t remember if I’ve tried the Kitchen Sink. I will do that.

1 Like

I found myself today trying to get the Surge XT FM2 to sound like the FM-OP :wink: I ended up putting a scope on both and trying to match them together, but even when I thought the scope traces looked the same, they sounded different to me. I finally quit messing with it. FM-OP has spoiled me.

1 Like

well, Andrew said it was unpolished and unprofessional when I asked him to feature it in “new this month”, so maybe he’s right?

Very cool stuff

1 Like

You will love it, it’s a way of life. Keep up the great work!!

2 Likes

Oh man does this really sound amazing!

I’ve had the standalone Surge XT installed for a while now but could never find the inspiration to get past the interface.

Having everything split into separate modules that look as nice and clean as these do is a game changer. I dove right in and experimented for hours this afternoon. The modulation implementation is fantastic and right in line with BitWig’s which I also love. I hope it makes it’s way into other VCV modules in the future.

That and the ability to integrate them with my favourite VCV modules really is a game changer for me.

Thank you for those that put in the work to bring this into the world of Rack.

I love you.

8 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. :slight_smile:

All the code is open source so if any other developers want to implement a similar modulation system in their FOSS modules then they are welcome to use it. It’s a very powerful and efficient way of doing it.

4 Likes

So far so good, 22 of the modules in a single patch (well, 23, as there are 2 Rotaries). and still no hiccup and not even 50% of one thread used in Rack 2.1.2, all VCOs that support it are in 2 voice unison mode. I guess my so far least fave VCO is the FM3 one, but maybe some more playing with it will reveal it’s sweet spots for me. And yes, modulation mapping system is perfection!

5 Likes

Are these magnets available to buy separately?

2 Likes

Yeah if folks want details let’s use a separate thread in the dev area. Lemme know

1 Like

I can sell you some of our magic invisible magnets. They are £20 each. How many would you like?

1 Like

Lol!

Steve is joking of course. We’ve purposefully never taken donations in surge land, and aren’t going to change that ever,

but if we did I would totally add a set of 40 invisible magnets at a 20 dollar a month patreon tier based on this joke.

3 Likes

FM3 is a tricky one to tame yeah. Very useful for inharmonic things though since the c:m can be absolute for all the modulators and is non integral also. And those wierd sidebands you get can be hard to use. Glad to hear it is all working for you!

1 Like

Whooah steady on there… that would take 40 months to break even! I presume that was a typo and you meant 4, not 40…

1 Like

thanks. yeah, I will have to break that out into a new patch as it still after twiddling a lot doesn’t fit in with the rest very nicely. But alas, if that is the only thing then all is peachy here :smiley:

1 Like

I spent a couple of days in Rack standalone under Windows 11, merging FM2 and MIXER (with VCV ADSR) into my 7 voice patch that has been based on FM-OPs. Meander is conducting. No hiccups or crashes. With FM2 et.al., framerate is about half of that with FM-OP and CPU avg usage is about 40% higher and max usage is about 25% higher. But, I have to use 3 modules (FM2, ADSR and MIXER) to duplicate the FM-OP functionality. Note, these are not percent increases but rather percentage. I.E., 40% higher usage means 140% (1.4) multiplier, etc.

I ended up setting all feedback to 0 on the FM2 so that it better matched the sound of the FM-OP, even though was modulating feedback on the FM-OPs. This was just a matter of what I’m used to with the FM-OP.

My patch makes heavy use of CountModula SWITCH 8-1 sequencing and meta-sequencing and the Aaron Static DiatonicCV, at. al., modules.

Next I plan to do something similar with the other XT oscillators.

1 Like

I’m finding plenty of entertainment in the Wavetable VCO. Many thanks to all the devs for these great modules.

3 Likes

I’ve actually never used FM-OP (!!) but from looking at it, I’m not sure why it and FM2 are similar. FM2 is a 3-sine-oscillator FM oscillator with a single carrier and pair of modulators and internal FM, whereas FM-OP seems to only be a single sine with feedback and an env. Are you comparing FM2 with, like, 3 FM-OPs or something?

1 Like

Looks wonderful!

Congratulations to the whole team! Love the design, it looks very slick and professional!

VCV Rack has been the reason I moved away from Bitwig but I’ve always missed these little modulation indicators! Happy to see these here, and that is not to say that it’s “cloned” from Bitwig: the success and quality of this release is its very own and is well deserved :slight_smile:

Here’s my :+1: for a separate dev thread, got a few questions!

Thank you and good luck with the bug fixes!

4 Likes

Are you comparing FM2 with, like, 3 FM-OPs or something?

Well, that is deeper than I thought about this. It was probably a mistake on my part to think that the two oscillators could be compared just because they both are FM.

Thanks for pointing out the differences. I’m playing with the other oscillators today.

1 Like